In an editorial published Sept. 21, 2014 in the Lawrence Journal-World, Schuyler Kraus, president of Students for a Sustainable Future asked, "If there's nothing to hide, why so much secrecy?"

If this sounds unsettlingly familiar to you, it's because you've been paying attention to history. This is the rallying cry of the Reverend Hales and the Joe McCarthys of the world.

SSF has singled out Professor Art Hall for a dragnet requiring University staff to sort through 10 years' worth of correspondence, contracts, research data and financial records in a warrantless search for evidence of impropriety. SSF claims to support academic freedom but seem to have trouble believing their lip service. Rather than cite specific examples of Professor Hall's curriculum or research that may have been influenced by outside money, they attempt to silence Professor Hall by abusing the Freedom of Information Act in an attempt to make him a pariah among his colleagues.

If you disagree with the policy and curriculum and research of Professor Hall, why not engage him on that front? Surely you believe your ideals will stand up to scrutiny while his will not. Why not prove it?

I will let John Stuart Mill conclude for me: "The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more so than those who hold it."

— Edited by Logan Schlossberg