Henry's Coffee Shop TOTH

Henry's Coffee Shop offers a dimly lit, cozy atmosphere with a wide array of coffee selections. Henry's is located on Eighth Street in downtown Lawrence and is open until 2 a.m. every day of the week.

Henry’s on Eighth isn’t just a popular destination for locals to get coffee or students to study, according to manager Taylor Covert.

“This place is kind of a second home to many people that come here,” Covert said.

Covert has worked at Henry’s for about a year and a half and took over the manager position in January. Covert said she sees a wide variety of customers at Henry’s, including locals, transients and students.

“It’s kind of a nice place for students to come in after class, and they can stay and do homework fairly late,” Covert said.

Reagan Wood, a sophomore from Fort Riley, and Sophie Costello, a sophomore from Lincoln, Nebraska, said they like to study together at Henry’s because it’s open until 2 a.m. and has free Wi-Fi. Wood said the baristas are always friendly to them when they study there.

“They actually try to get to know the customers,” Wood said. “They’re not just concerned about business.”

Covert said she has made many friends while working at Henry’s because of the regulars who frequent the shop. Henry’s is known for not being very well lit, according to Covert, so a regular customer once brought in light bulbs to provide more light in the shop.

“You can see a little better now,” Covert said.

Henry’s will have its 20th anniversary in October. Covert said she thinks customers come to Henry’s because it’s comfortable, homey, and there is no judgement, so people can just be themselves there.

“That’s what makes us so great ... because there’s just so many different people that I see every day,” Covert said.