Strong Hall

John Colombo will begin his one-year term as interim dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences July 1.

On April 7, 2008, in the midst of the excitement of the Kansas Jayhawks winning the NCAA Basketball Tournament, University administrators decided to cancel classes for that day. However, if the team's Final Four run this year leads to a championship title, that may not be the case about Tuesday's classes.

“The decision has not been made,” Provost Neeli Bendapudi said in a statement to the Kansan.

Erinn Barcomb-Peterson, the University director for news and media, also supported the provost’s statement.

“There are no such plans in place at this time,” Barcomb-Peterson said in an email.

With classes already canceled twice this semester, which alone is a rare occurrence in the University’s history, this could possibly be why a no-class celebration wouldn't happen. However, two snow days were also called in February 2008, but the championship still caused missed classes that April.

“This is a proud moment for Jayhawks everywhere. Not only has the team dazzled the nation on the court, but our fans have demonstrated through their safe but boisterous celebrations and support that KU is truly a great place to be,” then-Chancellor Robert Hemenway told the Lawrence Journal-World in 2008.

When classes were canceled in 2008, many celebrations took place. These included a warm welcome to the team at Memorial Stadium, with a U.S. Army UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter flying over it.

Classes were also canceled the day after the men's basketball team won the NCAA championship game in 1988. On this day, there was also a celebration at Memorial Stadium that gathered a crowd of over 30,000 people.

Students created an online petition for classes to be canceled if the men’s basketball team won the national championship in 2012, when then-Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little decided to have classes regardless of a KU victory. 

“I appreciate the enthusiasm of some of our students, but KU's first duty as a university is to encourage excellence in the classroom. We're all thrilled that the Jayhawks are playing for the national championship, and should we win, I'm confident students will celebrate safely,” Gray-Little said to the Kansan.

Will the University’s administration decide to cancel classes, despite the two snow days, much like they did in 2008? Or will they they follow Gray-Little’s opinion to not cancel classes? These are the questions many University students are hankering to know the answers to, but will have to wait until next week to find out.