MBB vs. Iowa State-28.jpg

Coach Bill Self shows his excitement during the game against Iowa State. The Jayhawks defeated the Cyclones 80-76 on Monday, Jan. 21.

With three open scholarships remaining, Kansas men’s basketball has work to do to round out the remainder of its 2019-20 roster.

2019 four-star small forward Jalen Wilson is the biggest prospect remaining on Kansas’ radar. Wilson formerly signed with Michigan, but was granted a release from his letter-of-intent after the hiring of new coach Juwan Howard.

With a projected starting lineup consisting of sophomore point guard Devon Dotson, sophomore guard Ochai Agbaji, junior forward Silvio De Sousa and senior center Udoka Azubuike, the Jayhawks already have a top-12 roster, according to CBS.  

However, the bench is an area Kansas could struggle in during the upcoming season. Wilson could add scoring off the bench and be the key factor to push the Jayhawks into the top 10.

Wilson shot 39% during his senior season of high school, according to MaxPreps. Three-point shooting is another area Kansas may struggle with next season as well; the Jayhawks shot 35% from beyond the arc in 2018-19.

Wilson’s strongest aspect of his game is arguably his catch-and-shoot ability, as he tends to make the most of each open look.

However, while he does struggle creating his own space at times, Wilson makes up for it by creating opportunities for his teammates. Wilson seems to find wide open players with ease, and is never afraid to pass up a shot for his teammates.

Wilson struggles in transition, though, especially with pull-up jumpers. This inability to hit pull-up shots could hurt Kansas, because opposing teams do already don't have to contest outside shots as much with the Jayhawks being inconsistent at best.

Wilson also struggles to find space because he does not have the dribble moves many other small forwards have, which makes getting into the low post difficult. When in the low post, Wilson is plenty capable of getting the ball into the basket or passing out, but the problem is getting into that position.

With the addition of Wilson, Kansas could become a top-five team in the nation because of what he possesses. He could provide scoring off the bench and is a capable shooter, which are two of the Jayhawks’ biggest weaknesses.

He almost certainly will not immediately start, but there is potential to gain a starting role later down the road.

Wilson recently took a visit to Kansas and according to the Kansas City Star, his visit was “great," with visits to North Carolina and Michigan on the docket later this week.

With that in mind, the question remains as to where Wilson will choose to go. However, if Kansas coach Bill Self manages to pull it off, Wilson will be one of the biggest additions to the 2019-20 squad.