Men's basketball vs. Michigan State

Then-senior guard Frank Mason III drives through Michigan State defenders on his way to the basket in the first half on March 19, 2017. Kansas defeated Michigan State, 90-70, to advance to the Sweet 16.

The UCLA teams of the 1960s and 1970s set records people never thought would be matched — let alone broken. Since 2005, Kansas has won 13-straight conference titles and now looks to break UCLA's conference record.

Many historic players made the UCLA run so special. The Kansan wanted to compare the best players of the UCLA run with those of the current Kansas run. The Kansan looked at the best players in each program's run and chose the best five of that group.

UCLA (1967-1979)

Hall of Famer John Wooden led the UCLA teams of the '60s and '70s to a record 13-straight conference titles as well as three national titles. Something to keep in mind when looking at the players and the statistics is that in those days: the offense was run through the center. That is why the likes of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton were so successful.

PG: Henry Bibby | Games: 90 | PTS: 14.4, REB: 3.5, AST: N/A

Bibby was the starting point guard as the UCLA Bruins won three-straight NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championships from 1970 to 1972. Bibby was named an All-American his senior year and is one of only four players to have started on three NCAA championship teams (Lew Alcindor, Curtis Rowe and Lynn Shackelford).

SG: Curtis Rowe | Games: 90 | PTS: 15.2, REB: 8.8, AST: N/A

At 6-foot-7, Rowe was considered too large to be a guard but coach Wooden insisted playing him at that position. Rowe was a member of three national championship teams from 1969 to 1971 and is one of only four players to have started on three NCAA championship teams.

SF: Sidney Wicks | Games: 90 | PTS: 15.8, REB: 9.9, AST: N/A

Much like Rowe and Bibby, Wicks played on three-straight national championship teams between 1969 and 1971. Wicks was named the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four in 1970.  Not to mention, Wicks was a two-time consensus All-American in 1970 and 1971.

PF: Bill Walton | Games: 87 | PTS: 20.3, REB: 15.7, AST: 5.5

Maybe the second most famous player to come from the John Wooden era, Walton is known for his free spirit and love for the Grateful Dead. As a sophomore, Walton was the leader of the 1971-72 team that went 30-0 and won a national championship. Many people consider Walton to be the most dominant college player ever.

C: Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) | Games: 88 | PTS: 26.4, REB: 15.5, AST: N/A

Before his skyhook took the NBA by storm, Lew Alcindor practiced his trade with John Wooden and was a part of the team that started the conference win streak. Alcindor was a focal point in the team's three-year record of 88 wins and only two losses. Alcindor did not use his Muslim name until 1971, two years after leaving UCLA.

KU (2005-Current)

Hall of Fame coach Bill Self has led Kansas through its most prosperous period in the program's history. With a mixture of four-year and "one-and-done" players, Self has sent countless players to the NBA. From 2006 to 2012, Self had the best six-year record of any men's coach in Division I history (197-29).

PG: Frank Mason | Games: 145 | PTS: 13.0, REB: 3.4, AST: 4.0

In his four years with Kansas, Mason found himself as one of the most beloved Jayhawks to ever play in Allen Fieldhouse. Mason did his part to keep the conference win streak alive. In his senior year, he became the first player in Big 12 history to average 20 points and five assists a game during the regular season. Multiple media outlets also named him “National Player of the Year."

SG: Mario Chalmers | Games: 110 | PTS: 12.2, REB: 2.8, AST: 3.8

“The Shot.” Mario Chalmers brought Kansas to its first National Championship of the century with his miracle shot against Memphis in the national title game. In his three years at Kansas, Chalmers was named to the Big 12 All-Defensive Team all three years and made the NCAA All-Tournament team in 2008.

SF: Andrew Wiggins | Games: 35 | PTS: 17.1, REB: 5.9, AST: 1.5

Although Wiggins attended Kansas for only a year, he was a terrific Jayhawk in that time. Wiggins scored 41 points against West Virginia, the most for a Big 12 Conference freshman since Michael Beasley scored 44 points against Baylor in 2008. Wiggins’ electric play took the nation by storm and led him being the No. 1 overall draft pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

PF: Perry Ellis | Games: 144 | PTS: 12.5, REB: 5.8, AST: 1.0

A cult hero in the college basketball world, Ellis started his sophomore through senior years. In his junior year, Ellis led Kansas in scoring and rebounding with 13.8 points and 6.9 rebounds per game. Ellis was a consensus second team All-American and Big 12 men’s basketball scholar-athlete of the year for his junior and senior years.

C: Jeff Withey | Games: 117 | PTS: 8.0, REB: 5.4, AST: 0.6

After transferring from Arizona, Withey was a crucial player in Kansas’ Final Four run in 2012. During that run, Withey blocked 31 shots in the 2012 tournament, breaking Joakim Noah's tournament record of 29. Withey currently holds the record for most blocked shots in a Big 12 season with 265.