BEN LIPOWITZ:KANSAN17.JPG

The KU bench gets pumped up over Perry Ellis's big slam dunk.

The Jayhawks secured at least a share of their 11th straight Big 12 title on Monday, following the Iowa State Cyclone’s victory over the Oklahoma Sooners.

Kansas leads all NCAA teams with 58 conference championships, trailing only the UCLA Bruins for the longest streak of consecutive conference titles in the NCAA, according to a Kansas press release.

The Jayhawks currently sit at 23-6 on the year, and 12-4 in conference play. There is still a possibility that the Jayhawks could share the title, but in order for that to happen, the team would need to lose to both West Virginia on Tuesday and Oklahoma on Saturday.

The Jayhawks have shared four of the first ten titles in the streak, but they can secure their second consecutive outright Big 12 title with a win on senior night over West Virginia.

Big 12 Power Rankings: March 3

1. Kansas (23-6, 12-4)

— Last week: 1-0

— Previous ranking: 2 

The Jayhawks won their lone game of the week against the Texas Longhorns, despite finding out that their starting center, Cliff Alexander, would be held out of the game. Regardless, Kansas took care of business, thanks in part to Perry Ellis, who scored a season-high 28 points.  When asked about Alexander on Monday, Self said that “there is no new timeline,” although he did seem optimistic that It would be wrapped up soon. Oh, and speaking of wrapped up, the Jayhawks wrapped up their 11 straight Big 12 title on Monday, as Oklahoma fell to Iowa State.

2. Oklahoma (20-9, 11-6)

— Last week: 1-1

— Previous ranking: 3 

Just one week after Iowa State appeared poised to make a run at the Big 12 title, it’s the Sooners who have moved all the way up in the list. Head coach Lon Kruger spoke about his team’s success, saying that there are different players “that have stepped up” throughout the year. Kruger was especially complementary of freshman TaShawn Thomas, who he said has provided the team with “a very big lift," as conference play wraps up.

3. Iowa State (21-8, 11-6) 

— Last week: 1-2

— Previous ranking: 1

The Cyclones found a way to go from a half game out of first in the Big 12 to being all-but mathematically eliminated from the title race in the last seven days, which was certainly a shock to many. Head coach Fred Hoiberg certainly discovered how hard it was to play with the pressure of being close to first in the league, and he even talked about it on the Big 12 coaches teleconference. Hoiberg called Self winning ten consecutive Big 12 titles “remarkable,” adding that it’s especially impressive given “the teams we have in this conference.”

4. Baylor (22-8, 10-7)

— Last week: 2-1

— Previous ranking: 4

With a record of 2-1 in the last seven days, the Bears held down the number four spot on the list, although they likely would’ve moved up had Iowa State continued with its free-fall. The Bears have looked good as of late, and head coach Scott Drew has certainly been in a better mood. Drew joked around that the Bears simply “aim to please” in the Big 12 coaches teleconference, and they certainly put on a show that very night, although they did lose to Texas in overtime.

5. West Virginia (22-7, 10-6)

— Last week: 0-1

— Previous ranking: 5

The Mountaineers lost their only game in the last week, falling on the road to Baylor. In the Big 12 coaches teleconference on Monday, however, head coach Bob Huggins had a positive outlook, saying that with the parity in the league, the Big 12 tournament was as open “as any I’ve ever been involved with,” before adding that senior guard Juwan Staten is “day-to-day” with a left knee injury, and may not play against Kansas.

6. Texas (18-12, 7-10)

— Last week: 1-1

— Previous ranking: 6

The Longhorns played the Jayhawks close, and followed it up with a win against the No. 16 Baylor Bears. That win couldn’t have come at a better time, as the Longhorns are on the bubble to make the NCAA Tournament. Head coach Rick Barnes said in the Big 12 coaches teleconference that he was happy with how his team had played, and there were definitely signs of improvement from earlier this year, adding that Myles Turner in particular had gotten “much, much better.”

7. Kansas State (15-15, 8-9)

— Last week: 1-0

— Previous ranking: 8

The Wildcats got another key victory to keep their very, very slim hopes for an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament alive. After beating Iowa State, Bruce Weber was quick to say that his team needed to relax and worry about the present rather than the future. Weber said that his team seems to “slip up” when they look ahead, because of a lack of “focus on the immediate.”

8. Oklahoma State (17-11, 7-9) 

— Last week: 0-1

— Previous ranking: 7

The Cowboys dropped their fourth straight game on Saturday, putting them in real jeopardy of missing the NCAA Tournament for the first time this season. Head coach Travis Ford said he hoped his team understood that “they still have games left,” because if they don’t bounce back, they could find themselves on the outside looking in at the end of the year.

9. TCU (17-12, 4-12)

— Last week: 1-1

— Previous ranking: 9

The Horned Frogs solidified their spot as the ninth best team in the league by sweeping the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Wednesday. Head coach Trent Johnson remained positive about his team moving forward though, saying that the team has “played extremely hard,” and that they certainly haven’t quit this season.

10. Texas Tech (13-17, 3-14)

— Last week: 1-1

— Previous ranking: 10

Texas Tech’s 2014-15 season has pretty much been a complete failure, from a competing in the Big 12 standpoint, but that hasn’t been the team’s only goal this season. Head coach Tubby Smith is doing his best to rebuild the program, and he knows that it’s a long process. Smith said that he’s “disappointed” in the way the season has gone, but he knows they’re “on the right track.