Red Sox Draftees

The Boston Red Sox selected pitcher Ryan Zeferjahn and catcher Jaxx Groshans in the 2019 MLB Draft.

The Boston Red Sox drafted Kansas baseball pitcher Ryan Zeferjahn in the third round (No. 107 overall), and catcher Jaxx Groshans in the fifth round (No. 167 overall) of the 2019 MLB First-Year Player Draft Tuesday.

Zeferjahn, a Topeka native and graduate of Seaman High School, earned All-Big 12 first team honors for the 2019 season and was ranked No. 84 on MLB Pipeline’s Top 200 prospects list.

“The coaches at Kansas have really helped me mature as a baseball player and gave me the best opportunity to succeed, and I thank all of them for everything they've done," Zeferjahn said, according to a Kansas Athletics press release.

The defending champion Red Sox drafted Kansas' ace after he finished his junior year with a 5-2 record, 3.97 ERA and 107 strikeouts in 88 1/3 innings.

The 6-foot-5 right-hander is also familiar with the northeast after pitching in the Cape Cod League in summer 2017. Zeferjahn appeared as a reliever in 13 games for the Falmouth Commodores and racked up 20 strikeouts with a 2.40 ERA in 15 innings.

Groshans, who was named to the All-Big 12 honorable mention team, emerged in 2019. The Jayhawks' catcher hit for a .340 average with 12 home runs and 46 RBIs while starting all 57 games. Behind the plate, he threw out 13 of 29 (44.8%) potential base stealers.