In case you missed it, Kansas beat Iowa State on Saturday … in football.

Both teams came into the contest with a 2-6 overall record and an 0-5 conference record.

The Jayhawks played a complete game, arguably for the first time all season, defeating the Cyclones 34-14.

After the clock hit 0:00, the student section stormed the field and celebrated at midfield with the players.

At that point, nothing was broken and everyone was high on emotions. Once the students charged the south goal post, things dramatically changed.

Season ticket holders went from cheering for the students to yelling at them, telling them to stop, saying their actions were stupid, among other things.

Kansas just beat a team that was now 2-7 and 0-6 in the Big 12 — nothing worth tearing down a goal post for — yet the students went for it anyway.

Central Michigan, a team Kansas defeated 24-10 back on Sept. 20 has a better record than Iowa State … and Kansas for that matter. The Chippewas are 6-4. The students didn’t rush the field and destroy University property then.

The last time the field was rushed was last season, when Kansas defeated West Virginia 31-19.

That moment was monumental.

That was the first time Kansas won against a conference opponent since the Jayhawks defeated Colorado 52-45 in 2010. If Colorado is left out of the picture due to having left the conference for the Pac-12, the last time Kansas defeated a conference opponent that is still in the conference was back in 2009 when Kansas upended Iowa State 41-36.

But this time against Iowa State? An argument can be made that it was Clint Bowen’s first win as interim head coach, but this wasn’t like the West Virginia game. That game had historical implications. This one? It wasn’t worth taking down the goal posts. The students should have waited, just like the students before. Tearing down the goal posts against West Virginia was satisfying.

Of course, tearing down goal posts has a financial cost and from the sounds of the season ticket holders who were at the game, they probably don’t want to pay for the damage. Generally the school forks over the cost of that, but where does that money come from? Most likely, the students or the season ticket holders.

When Ole Miss defeated Alabama earlier in the season, the students rushed the field and took down both goal posts. That resulted in $25,000 in damages, with each goal post costing $11,000.

Tearing down the goal posts should be saved for a special moment, like breaking a streak or upsetting a ranked opponent. If Kansas were to somehow beat TCU on Saturday, tearing down the goal posts won’t be as special.

— Edited by Rob Pyatt