College football season has come to a close for many programs around the country. The end of the season generally marks the time when athletic departments make changes to their staff.

One shocking change that was brought down last weekend was the firing of Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini.

Pelini was 67-27 at Nebraska and owned a 9-3 ledger on the 2014 season.

Pelini wasn’t the first coach Nebraska fired after going 9-3 and having a winning record. Back in 2003, Frank Solich was canned after going 9-3 and having a 58-19 overall record. Bill Callahan was hired as his replacement and the program went downhill.

Kansas fans look fondly upon the days of Callahan.

In 2004, Nebraska barely edged out Kansas 14-8, but that was a sign of things to come.

The following year, Kansas pummeled Nebraska 40-15.

In 2007, Todd Reesing and the Jayhawks had a record setting game against Nebraska, demolishing the Huskers 76-39.

Reesing threw six touchdown passes, setting a new school record. Those 76 points were the most Kansas put up against Nebraska over the two’s 117-year history.

That was the last Nebraska-Kansas game Callahan would coach. When Pelini was named his successor, Kansas didn’t win another game against Nebraska before it would leave for the Big 10.

It’s no surprise to anyone that Kansas is also currently without a head coach. Some rumors have bubbled up about Pelini moving three hours south to take over the Kansas program, but rumors are all that will ever be.

Pelini may have been able to turn Nebraska from a 5-8 team to a 9-4, bowl-winning team in one year, but he isn’t what Kansas needs.

Kansas needs a coach with an offensive mind. Pelini’s claim to fame is his knowledge of defense.

Pelini would also be a very expensive hire, just like Turner Gill and Charlie Weis were. Pelini was the 24th highest-paid coach in the country and most people don’t like taking major salary cuts. His contract was $14,875,000. Gill’s contract was for $10 million. Weis’ contract was $12.5 million.

An expensive hire might be what Kansas needs, but having to fork over millions of dollars to hire Pelini (and his staff) might not be ideal for the athletics department.

Pelini might not even look at Kansas. One head coach (Florida) and two defensive coordinator positions (Auburn and Texas A&M) are open in the SEC. Pelini might want to return to the conference that put him on the map.

Whatever happens, seeing Pelini suited up in a gray sweatshirt bearing a Jayhawk is probably not going to happen.

— Edited by Jacob Clemen