Basketball season is just around the corner. Even though it’s not quite here yet, one Big 12 football team put up basketball-like numbers in its game this weekend.

TCU scored 82 points on Texas Tech Saturday and now leads the nation in points per game with 50.4.

With a blowout score of 82-27, the game broke multiple records.

TCU’s quarterback Trevone Boykin broke the school record by throwing seven touchdown passes. Boykin had 22 completions and zero interceptions on the day.

“I felt perfect,” Boykin said after the game.

TCU scored more than 82 just one time last season — in basketball. The Horned Frogs beat Grambling State 98-75 last December and averaged 63.6 points per game on the year.

The 82 points were a TCU record and a conference game record. Last time there was a shootout that did substantial damage to the scoreboard was back in 2003 when Oklahoma railroaded Texas A&M 77-0.

The only Big 12 team to score more on an opponent in this era of football was Oklahoma State back in 2012. The Cowboys were playing Savannah St and scored 84-0.

How does a team get to 82 points? There are many different ways to get up there, but here’s how TCU did it. In the first quarter, TCU scored three touchdowns and one field goal. In the second quarter, TCU scored one touchdown and two field goals. One field goal and four touchdowns came in the third quarter and two touchdowns came in the fourth quarter.

TCU’s kicker Jaden Oberkrom was perfect on the day, making four field goals and 10 extra point kicks. He had more points (22) than Texas Tech had first downs (21).

The first quarter of the game was relatively close. TCU led Texas Tech 24-17. The game was pretty much decided when TCU went on a 30-0 scoring spree in eight minutes to start off the third quarter.

TCU has two more games against ranked teams remaining, at West Virginia and at home against Kansas State. After that, it might be possible to see another basketball-like scoring game. The Horned Frogs come to Lawrence on November 15, face Texas in Austin on November 27 and play at home against Iowa State on December 6. The Horned Frogs close out their schedule with three of the four schools at the bottom of the Big 12 totem pole.

They’ve already taken on Oklahoma, Baylor and Oklahoma State. TCU beat Oklahoma 37-33 on the crazy weekend of college football when 10 ranked teams went down. The Sooners were ranked No. 4 at the time when TCU was sitting at No. 25.

The TCU football team is currently 6-1, only losing in an offensive shootout to Baylor 61-58 back on October 11.