Amie Just Mug

One quote stuck out among the rest in Charlie Weis’ final press conference as Kansas’ head coach.

“Stats are for losers,” Weis said.

Weis didn’t leave it at that though. He went on to say, “There’s a lot of positive stats out there that I could say were positive. The bottom line is when you lose the turnover ratio like that, you’re going to lose most games.”

That wasn’t the end of it. Just two questions later, Weis brought up the ‘stats are for losers’ bit again.

“I know that you guys hear what I just said in there. I mean stats are for losers. I could sit there and tell you we converted about 50 percent on third down. I could tell you De’Andre [Mann] ran the ball really well. I could tell you we intended to run the ball a whole bunch of times and had moderate success.”

Reporters and fans were chomping at the bit. How dare Weis say something like that. That’s just it — he said it, but he didn’t coin the phrase.

The phrase is originally attributed to football great Vince Lombardi. Since then several coaches have said it. One NFL coach has said “stats are for losers” on an almost cliché basis — the New England Patriots’ Bill Belichick.

It’s been documented that Belichick has publicly said the phrase when Weis was still on the Patriots’ payroll. Back in those days, the Patriots were the cream of the crop in the NFL, winning three Super Bowls in four years.

An argument could be made that Weis picked the phrase up from his former colleague.

The meaning behind the phrase? There are hundreds and hundreds of statistics in football games. In most football games there are statistics that reflect poorly on teams and there are statistics that make teams look good.

Even though there were positive statistics for Kansas coming out of the Texas game, Weis throwing out the “stats are for losers” line probably wasn’t the best idea after having a 6-22 record as Kansas’ head coach.

Weis was right though. Even though Kansas didn’t put anything on the scoreboard, some statistics reflected well for Kansas. The Kansas defense held the Longhorns to just 26 yards of total offense in the third quarter. The defense didn’t allow any rusher more than 50 total yards.

No matter how you slice it, stats are going to reflect both good and bad things.

When Belichick has said the phrase previously, he didn’t just leave it by itself. In 2010, he added, “The final score is for winners.”

Weis definitely left that part off in his postgame press conference Saturday, because the final score reflected 22 times in the opponents’ favor.

— Edited by Alex Lamb