chelsea gardner big 12 player of the week

Kansas senior forward Chelsea Gardner will continue her basketball career at the professional level. The DeSoto, Texas, native was selected in the second round of the 2015 WNBA Draft on Thursday, as the Indiana Fever chose her with the 21st overall pick.

Gardner became the first Jayhawk to be selected in the WNBA Draft since Angel Goodwich was chosen by the Tulsa Shock in 2013. Goodrich was selected 29th overall.

Gardner averaged 16.8 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per game during her senior campaign, which saw the Jayhawks finish with a 15-17 record.

The 6-3 forward was an All-Big 12 First Team selection the past two seasons, with this past year being a unanimous selection. Gardner finished her college campaign at 12th all-time in points in Kansas Women’s Basketball history, with 1,516. She also became the 27th Kansas women's basketball player to join the 1,000 point club during her senior season.

Besides being named to the All-Big 12 First Team this year, Gardner was named to the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association All-Region Team last month. Additionally, last weekend at the NCAA Women’s Final Four, the senior received a 2015 WBCA All-American Honorable Mention. Gardner was also named to the Associated Press All-American list, as an honorable mention honoree. 

Gardner scored 30-or-more points twice in her career at Kansas: Once during her junior year at Texas Tech and once during her senior season against Alabama. The senior also posted a 20-point, 20-rebound game in a win over West Virginia.

While on the Jayhawks, Gardner was able to post some of her strongest performances against stiff competition. On two different occasions, she scored at least 20 points against a top 10 team.  The first was during her junior year, when the Jayhawks defeated Baylor in Allen Fieldhouse, snapping Baylor’s 53-game winning streak. The other occasion was this past December when Kansas defeated no. 10 California.