Amie Just mug

Wearing Beats by Dre cost San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick $10,000. Why? Because the NFL has a contract with Bose.

Earlier this season, Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman called out the NFL in one of the more strange press conferences of the season. Sherman had a conversation with a cardboard cutout of teammate Doug Baldwin, which Baldwin was holding himself.

“Gee Louise,” Sherman said. “You know who does pay me a lot of money? Beats by Dre, the wonderful headphones that I’m wearing. But the league doesn’t let me say anything about them. Why is that? That seems a little hypocritical. It seems like we’re in a league where they say, ‘Players, you don’t endorse any alcohol. Please don’t endorse alcohol, no DUIs, please,’ but a beer sponsor is their biggest sponsor.”

Want to wear something with your own trademarked name on it? Well, that’s too bad. Seahawks star running back Marshawn “Beast Mode” Lynch could get fined for a hat he wore at NFL Media Day on Tuesday.

Lynch was also threatened with a suspension if he wore his 24-karat gold cleats in the NFC Championship game. The cleats violated the NFL’s uniform code.

Cleats have been a hot commodity in the league.

Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall was fined $15,000 back in December 2013 for wearing orange cleats. That one reminds me of the time I was fined back in middle school for not having the same shade of brown on my belt and shoes.

The Bears’ primary color is orange, so why did Marshall get fined for that? It’s because the cleats weren’t approved by the NFL.

With all of the fines the NFL doles out over the season, you would think they would make enough money along with ticket and merchandise sales, right? Wrong. 

In October, the NFL Shop sells pink NFL gear, with the proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. That’s what the NFL wants you to think.

A “Business Insider” article reports for every $100 in sales of the pink gear, only $3.54 is actually going toward research. 

What’s so shady about that? The NFL is a for-profit company, right? Not quite. The NFL takes in more than $9.5 billion a year … and is a non-profit organization. 

With everything that is going on, it’s pretty easy to see that the NFL doesn’t really care about football anymore. It just cares about money.

— Edited by Mackenzie Clark