Darreon Jackson

Darreon Jackson, a Boise State transfer who verbally committed to Kansas football this week, is no longer being recruited by the program.

Darreon Jackson, a safety who verbally committed to Kansas football this week, is no longer being recruited by the football staff.

Jackson was suspended for six months by Boise State in May 2016 in regard to an alleged sexual assault.

"David Beaty has told us that [Darreon Jackson] is no longer among the prospects Kansas is recruiting," Jim Marchiony, associate athletic director of public affairs, told The Kansan on Wednesday. 

Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star first reported the news of Kansas football rescinding its interest in Jackson.

Jackson began attending Boise State in 2015, but in May 2016 was given a year-long suspension from the school in regard to an alleged sexual assault that occurred the previous semester, according to the Idaho Statesman. After an appeal, Jackson's suspension was reduced to a semester. No criminal charges were filed against Jackson before he transferred to Coffeyville Community College, where he played in the 2016-17 season.

Two other Boise State players, Marquis Hendrix and Donzale Roddie, were expelled from the university in connection with the same alleged sexual assault incident. Jackson was allegedly involved in one of the three incidents cited in the investigation, according to the Statesman.

In the incident, the victim, a woman who was in a consenting sexual relationship with Hendrix, was allegedly told that she "need[ed] to do a favor" for the football team. One of the players on the team allegedly told her that they needed her to "show [a recruit] a good time." Both Hendrix and Jackson allegedly met her in a residence hall stairwell on Oct. 2, 2015. Jackson allegedly smacked her behind and she was taken to a room where the recruit was. The victim said she felt trapped.

Jackson denied blocking the door and denied making physical contact with her. He also said, per the Statesman, "nobody forced her to do anything," but that she had performed oral sex on multiple football players.

— Edited by Erin Brock