MBB vs. Baylor-13.jpg

Former KU forward Dedric Lawson boxes out against Baylor.

Even though Kansas men's basketball did not see any players selected in the NBA Draft — the first time since 2009  forward Dedric Lawson reached a summer league deal with the Golden State Warriors, according to Yahoo Sports' Chris Haynes.

Lawson did go undrafted, though, which left Kansas coach Bill Self a bit taken back given the the big man's success this past season.

“I’m definitely somewhat surprised on Dedric,” Self said on a post-draft teleconference. “I don’t know if disappointed is the right word, but I certainly feel bad for Dedric.”

Lawson’s name appeared on some early draft boards as a second round prospect, ranging from low 40s to high 50s. The former Memphis transfer was initially viewed as a lock to be drafted, but his stock fell drastically after a record number of underclassmen elected to remain in this year’s draft.

In his only season of eligibility at Kansas, Lawson emerged as the primary scoring and rebounding option for the Jayhawks. He finished the season as the Big 12's top scorer, with 19.4 points per game. He also recorded 10.3 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game, earning Big 12 All-Conference First Team and Newcomer of the Year honors. In March, Lawson was one of 15 players nationwide to be named to the John R. Wooden Award final ballot.

As for the end of the streak of Kansas players being drafted, Self remained indifferent.

“I’m happy when guys get drafted, but I could care less about that streak,” Self said. “We had one guy in the draft that was draftable. He had a great year for us and gave us everything we had.”

Just before the deal was announced, Self expressed confidence that Lawson’s undrafted status would eventually benefit him as a player.

“He can still do exactly what he wants to do; he’s just gotta do it the hard way,” Self said. “It’ll make him much better in the end.”