The Kansas volleyball team's initial reaction to its seeding was lackluster. The NCAA's Selection Sunday Show on ESPNU announced the top eight seeds individually, then plastered the rest of the 16 in list format. No one moved.

"Aw. Wait. That's us," one of the players said, pointing at the screen.

The eruption wasn't completely forgotten, but rather delayed.

The No. 9 Kansas Jayhawks, one of 16 teams to host the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tournament on their own court, screamed in excitement when "Kansas" flashed up on the screen, showing its first-round pairing with Furman.

They became even more raucous when the final team in the division was selected.

That team? The Missouri Tigers.

But playing Missouri isn't guaranteed. Kansas plays Furman first. And Missouri plays Missouri State. And for a 26-2 Kansas volleyball team that set numerous school records throughout the year, it's really about so much more than that.

Regardless, the road to Omaha goes through Furman and starts in Horejsi.

First round: Furman

Kansas (26-2) faces off against Furman (21-8) on Dec. 3 at 7:30 p.m. in Horejsi. Kansas and Furman have played one time before in school history, back in 2000, when Kansas won in three sets. Currently, the Paladins are on a five-match win streak, a run that lasted through the Southern Conference championship.

Kansas and Furman have both played Missouri State, which also made the tournament. Furman opened up against Missouri State and fell in three sets; meanwhile, Kansas swept Missouri State 3-0.

Second round: Missouri/Missouri State

If Kansas gets past Furman, it will face either Missouri (26-5) or Missouri State (24-10). The Tigers finished second in the SEC, while the Bears finished second in the Missouri Valley's championship tournament.

Kansas has already played Missouri State in what was a three-set victory. However, Kansas hasn't played Missouri since Nov. 2, 2011, the final game before the Tigers left for the SEC. Kansas lost that game in four sets.

This season, both Missouri and Kansas shared one opponent: Arkansas. The Jayhawks went to four sets with the Razorbacks, but ultimately defeated them. Missouri played Arkansas once this season as well, winning in three sets.

The game between Missouri and Missouri State is slated to be played on Friday Dec. 4. The time has yet to be announced.

Regionals: San Diego

If Kansas defeats Missouri or Missouri State, it heads out to San Diego for the regional.

The four potential opponents for Kansas would be Loyola Marymount (22-8), Colorado State (26-3), New Mexico State (28-5) or No. 8 Stanford (22-6).

If Kansas would move past that game, the second regional game would be played against No. 1 USC (30-2), Cleveland State (26-6), Northern Arizona (28-4), San Diego (21-9), North Carolina (20-9), North Carolina-Wilmington (24-7), Coastal Carolina (25-4) or No. 16 Creighton (25-8).

Final Four: Omaha

If Kansas managed to get through the gauntlet of the San Diego regional, it would move closer to home in Omaha, Neb. The winner of the San Diego regional is pit against the winner of the Lexington, Ky., regional.

The ranked teams in that regional are No. 5 Washington (28-2), No. 12 Ohio State (23-9), No. 13 BYU (26-3) and No. 4 Nebraska (26-4).

Also in that regional is Denver (27-7), Arkansas State (28-1), Michigan State (18-13), Kentucky (21-9), American (27-6), Robert Morris (19-12), Ohio (25-7), Arizona (19-13), Western Kentucky (31-3), Wichita State (26-8), Big 12 rival Kansas State (17-11) and Harvard (15-10).

If Kansas advanced to the Final Four, it would play against the winner of the semifinal from the Austin regional and the Des Moines regional.

Ranked teams in those two regionals are No. 3 Texas (25-2), No. 14 UCLA (23-7), No. 11 Florida (22-6), No. 6 Wisconsin (24-6), No. 7 Penn State (26-5), No. 10 Texas A&M (23-6), No. 15 Louisville (24-6) and No. 2 Minnesota (26-4).

Rounding out the Austin regional are Fairfield (21-9), SMU (27-5), Purdue (22-9), Michigan (19-12), Santa Clara (22-8), Lipscomb (23-8), New Hampshire (21-8), Arizona State (19-12), Florida State (24-7), Iowa State (18-10), Oregon (16-13) and  Miami (Fl) (21-9).

Finishing out the bracket in the Des Moines regional are Howard (18-13), Dayton (26-5), Villanova (25-8), Hawaii (26-1), TCU (19-9), Texas A&M- Corpus Christi (31-4), Belmont (17-14) , Southern Illinois (23-9), Illinois (19-12), Marquette (21-11), Northern Iowa (19-14) and Jackson State (15-21).