MBB vs. Northeastern.jpg

Redshirt junior forward Dedric Lawson celebrates a three pointer against Northeastern. The Jayhawks defeated the Huskies 87-53 Thursday, March 21.

This past week in Las Vegas, Nevada, plenty of NBA hopefuls have made their case for a potential roster spot in the NBA Summer League. Among those hopefuls are a handful of former Kansas Jayhawks, some of which made a convincing case while others left something to be desired.

Let’s take a look at three former Jayhawks who made a significant impression on their respective NBA Summer League teams so far.

Svi Mykhailiuk, Detroit Pistons

Former Jayhawk star shooting guard Svi Mykhailiuk proved once again in the Summer League that he’s more than just a knockdown outside shooter. Mykhailiuk showcased plenty of new moves in Las Vegas, including a nifty reverse layup through traffic.

The Ukraine native is averaging 12.8 points and 4.5 assists over four games this summer and has shown major flashes of serious playmaking ability.

This bounce pass through the legs of a Pacers defender is a testament to how hard Mykhailiuk seems to have worked on the passing aspect of his game. If Mykhailiuk can continue to improve his shooting percentages and passing ability, he could potentially fill a significant bench role in the NBA.

Dedric Lawson, Golden State Warriors

Fresh off a standout 2018-19 season at Kansas, former McDonald’s All-American Dedric Lawson landed with the Golden State Warriors’ Summer League squad.

Lawson has shown flashes of efficiency in his short spurts on the court, averaging 6.0 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 2.8 assists in just under 17 minutes per game. In spite of his low scoring numbers, Lawson has proven that he can compete with bigger, stronger and NBA-ready players.

Lawson should have a clear-cut path to a two-way contract if he can build on his strong rebounding and decision-making on the court.

Devonte’ Graham, Charlotte Hornets

This July marks former Kansas guard Devonte’ Graham’s second stint in the NBA Summer League, one year after Graham was drafted 34th overall by Charlotte in the 2018 NBA Draft.

Graham has displayed his knack for scoring and passing thus far, averaging just around 15 points and five assists per contest. Graham has been the pulse of Charlotte’s offense this summer, putting a heavy emphasis on ball movement and pick-and-roll action with his teammates.

This is where Graham has thrived the most so far in Vegas, and it looks like he might be ready to make a leap to the starting rotation next season with the departures of Kemba Walker and Tony Parker.