Ben McLemore jumps to the net as he goes to dunk the basketball in Allen Fieldhouse

Former guard Ben McLemore dunks during the first half of the match against Belmont at Allen Fieldhouse in 2012. McLemore currently plays for the Memphis Grizzlies.

Professional athletes, including some former Jayhawks, across leagues have come together to help fight the novel coronavirus and support nurses and doctors on the frontline. 

Most recently, Ben McLemore stepped up to the plate on Tuesday and announced the Kevin McLemore Foundation will partner up with C3 International to provide more of the vital N95 respirator masks. 

“We have initiated plans to purchase masks and donate them to hospitals in need,” the Houston Rockets guard said in a statement on Instagram. "As we are limited to the amount of hospitals we can help C3 International has graciously offered to provide these masks to any person or facility in need at manufacturer cost.” 

Joel Embiid has also joined in to support the fight against the outbreak.

On Tuesday, Embiid announced that he would pledge to donate $500,000 to COVID-19 medical relief efforts. The 7-foot center also was making plans to financially support the 76ers staff that received salary cuts, but the Sixers’ organization switched and announced it would plan on paying its employees their full salaries. 

Former player and assistant coach Danny Manning is coming out with a pledge to donate as well. Manning took to Twitter to declare his and his wife’s pledge to donate to Forsyth County’s COVID-19 Response Fund. 

Wayne Simien, current assistant coach and former player, shared on Twitter how his family is making a difference. Simien shared a photo of his mother and daughters crafting medical masks for nursing home workers and encouraged others to take similar actions.