Vernon: Jake Heaps has the chance to make football fun

Junior quarterback Jake Heaps passes the ball during the second half of the Kansas Football Spring Game Saturday afternoon April 13. KU's 2013 season will begin on Saturday Sept. 7 against South Dakota.

Former Kansas quarterback Jake Heaps announced he re-signed with the Seattle Seahawks on Monday.

Heaps took to Twitter to announce the news.

"Excited to announce I have signed back with [the Seattle Seahawks]," Heaps tweeted. "Time to go to work!"

He played for Kansas in 2013 under Charlie Weis before transferring to the University of Miami in Florida. 

The Seahawks didn't have a quarterback in their 2017 draft class. They have a solid starter in Russell Wilson, but their second-in-command in Trevone Boykin had some recent off-the-field incidents. 

Boykin was arrested in late March in Dallas on misdemeanor charges of possession of marijuana and public intoxication. He was in a car that crashed into pedestrians and a night club. Seven people were sent to the hospital after the incident.

These charges weren't Boykin's first. He was placed on a year-long probation while at TCU after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest. Terms of his probation also included a $1,500 fine, $237 in court costs, alcohol awareness and anger management courses and 80 hours of community service.

Back in late March, reporters asked Seattle coach Pete Carroll about Boykin's future with the game.

"Early indications are that everything will give him an opportunity to be back with us," Carroll said

As of Tuesday morning, Boykin remains on the roster. 

Before the Seahawks re-signed Heaps, they didn't have a third quarterback on their roster after Wilson and Boykin. 

Heaps has bounced around the NFL since 2015. After his final year of eligibility with the Hurricanes, he was signed by the New York Jets on May 11, 2015, before being released on August 27, 2015.

The Seahawks first signed him on May 2, 2016.  He played in all four preseason games for Seattle, completing 8-of-19 passes for 64 yards. He was released during their final roster cuts on Sept. 3, 2016. He was placed on the practice squad on Sept. 13, 2016 and was released less than a month later on Oct. 3, 2016.

Heaps' college career was even more tumultuous than his NFL start. 

He started his college eligibility at BYU after being rated the No. 1 high school quarterback in the country by both Rivals and Scout. 

During his freshman season at BYU in 2010, played second fiddle to starting quarterback Riley Nelson. But early in the season, Nelson was sidelined with a season-ending shoulder injury and Heaps took over starting duties. His first start came against the Nevada Wolfpack — a team led by quarterback Colin Kaepernick. 

By the end of his freshman season, Heaps started 10 games, including a bowl game win against UTEP. He finished the year with 2,316 yards passing with 15 touchdowns and nine interceptions. His 15 passing touchdowns was a new program record for a freshman quarterback. 

Heaps' second season was less successful. He started the first five games for BYU before he was benched for Nelson due to poor play. Heaps finished the season with 1,452 yards passing, nine touchdowns and eight interceptions. Before BYU's bowl game, he announced that he was going to transfer to Kansas. 

Heaps redshirted for the 2012 season, due to NCAA transfer rules. He started for the Jayhawks right out of the gate under Charlie Weis in 2013, but lost his starting position to then-freshman Montell Cozart toward the end of the season. He finished his redshirt-junior campaign with 1,414 yards passing, eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Midway through the summer, he announced he was leaving the program to transfer to the University of Miami in Florida.

At Miami in 2014, Heaps was beaten out for the starting job by a true freshman in Brad Kaaya — who was just drafted by the Detroit Lions in the sixth round of this year's NFL Draft — before the season even began. He played in four games, completing 6-of-12 passes for 51 yards. 

The full list of Seattle's — and other teams' undrafted free agent signings — will be released soon, ahead of rookie mini-camps. 

— Edited by Ashley Hocking