MBB VS WEST VIRGINIA BIG 12-5.jpg

Freshman guard Quentin Grimes shoots the ball against West Virginia. The Jayhawks defeated the Mountaineers 88-74 during the Big 12 Tournament Friday, March 15.

Former Kansas guard Quentin Grimes is transferring to Houston in hopes of playing for the Cougars in the 2019-20 season, according to his Twitter account. 

Shortly after Grimes, a native of Houston suburb The Woodlands, Texas, announced his commitment to play for his hometown team, ESPN’s Jeff Borzello reported Grimes is expected to apply for a waiver to play immediately, instead of sitting out a season.

This may be difficult for Grimes, as the NCAA has recently changed its transfer eligibility rules regarding waivers, with the new school needing to provide proof of valid reasoning for the student-athlete transferring.

This includes “no longer [having] the opportunity to participate at his or her previous school,” “he or she is the victim of egregious behavior directly impacting his or her health, safety or well-being,” “the recent injury or illness of an immediate family member” or “to be closer to their home or support system because of their own injury or illness."

In his freshman season at Kansas, Grimes played in 36 games, averaging 8.4 points and 2.5 rebounds per game and shot 38.4% from the floor.