Kansas alumni softball player Maggie Hull-Tietz loved softball ever since she could remember.

“As soon as I could walk I was hitting the ball off the tee,” Hull-Tietz said.

As for wanting to play softball in college, early in her high school career she didn't know that was an option.

“Most people know that they're going to play in college. They're training for that goal,” she said.

After Hull-Tietz' sophomore year at Free State, she received All State Honors. Her coaches approached her and said she was good enough to play at a college level, but if it's something she really wanted to do, she would have to work hard.

That summer is when her and her twin sister Rosie Hull started the recruiting process and played for a competitive team. “It was really important for us to play together,” said Hull-Tietz.

“Being from Lawrence, KU was my dream school to play at,” said Hull-Tietz. “We didn't look at any other schools. We committed to KU our junior year in high school.”

Hull-Tietz left her mark on the Kansas softball program.

In her freshman season, she was one of two freshmen to start in every game. She led the team that year with nine sacrifice hits.

Her sophomore season was when things started to mesh together for Hull-Tietz. She started in every game and led the team with a .346 batting average on 56 hits. 14 of those hits were doubles, with nine being home runs. She recorded 49 RBI on the season as well. She was named to the All-Big 12 second team for her efforts. Other awards she won that season were the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) All-Region Second Team, Team Big Jay Award and Academic All-Big 12 First Team.

In 2012, her junior year, Hull-Tietz started in each game and broke the University's single-season record with a .409 batting average. She also tied the University's record for runs scored on the season with 46. That season she was named All-Big 12 First Team, Academic All-Big 12 First Team, Team MVP, Capital One Academic All-District and Team Captain.

In her senior season at Kansas, Hull-Tietz started in every game, placing her in the starting lineup for KU in all 210 games in her college career. For the second straight season she broke the KU batting average record, hitting a .456, being the third-best single-season mark in the history of the Big 12. She placed herself at the top of the charts at Kansas being the all-time leader in career batting average with a .368, ranking second the conference. She also broke the school's career RBI record with 140. She was honored with 14 different awards her after her senior season.

Little do most people know, there is a professional softball league, the National Pro Fastpitch League, in the United States. There are four teams and 20 players get drafted. The season runs from early June to mid August.

“They [the professional teams] were scouting here during my junior and senior year, and I didn't even know,”- Hull-Tietz said. “I talked to my coach a week before the draft after practice. I decided to enter the draft really quickly. It's one of those things you don't turn down.”

Hull-Tietz was selected 11 overall in the National Pro Fastpitch Draft and signed with the Chicago Bandits. In her rookie season she posted a .250 batting average.

“I had a really great experience last summer playing with the most talented athletes in the world, but I have decided to not play this summer. The way that it's set up makes it hard to have a job.” Hull-Tietz said. “It was a really really hard decision for me, but I have to prioritize other things in my life.”

Hull-Tietz recently got married and accepted a position at Baker University as an assistant softball coach.

“Even though I'm not there [Kansas] anymore, it feels good knowing I left a legacy at Kansas and in the professional softball league,” said Hull-Tietz.