Men's basketball vs. Purdue

Senior guard Frank Mason III motions to the Sprint Center crowd during the first half against Purdue on March 23. The Jayhawks defeated the Boilermakers, 98-66, to advance to the Elite Eight.

The last awards of the 2016-17 basketball season were handed out on Friday night, and Frank Mason III walked away with two of them.

The senior guard added both the Wooden Award and the Bob Cousy Award to his trophy case, rounding out his clean sweep of player of the year awards.

Mason finished his senior campaign averaging 20.9 points, 5.2 assists and 4.2 rebounds. He finished his career at sixth in the Kansas program leaderboards in both points and assists. 

The Wooden Award goes to the best collegiate player of the year, while the Bob Cousy Award is given to the best point guard in the country. The awards were presented on the College Basketball Awards Show in Los Angeles. 

Only one other Jayhawk has won the Wooden Award — Danny Manning. He won the accolade in 1988.

"It means a lot to me," Mason said of winning the Wooden Award. "First off, I want to thank John R. Wooden. I want to thank my parents, my coaches, my teammates. But other than that, this award means everything to me. But nothing would've [meant] more to me than a national championship. I really appreciate this."

The Bob Cousy Award, a relatively new honor, was first presented after the 2003-04 season. No Kansas player had won the award before Mason. 

"When you step out onto the court, you have to play with toughness," Mason said after being presented with the Cousy Award. "You can't be a punk out there or anything. You have to play with pride and take everything personally. I think that's what I do."

Mason's sweep of the big three awards — the AP, Naismith and Wooden Awards — isn't a rare accomplishment. In the past 20 years, the feat has been done 18 of 20 times.

Mason's sweep of the big four national player of the year awards — the three previous and the NABC honor — isn't unprecedented either. Over the past 20 years, the accomplishment has been done 15 times, not counting ties. 

Before the show, Mason took to Twitter to ponder a question. Since Wendy's sponsors the Wooden Award, does he get free Wendy's for life?

At the time of publication, Wendy's hadn't yet replied, though Mason may be in for the free fast food.