Unlike the women’s heptathlon, the men’s decathlon standings changed dramatically from Wednesday to Thursday.

The winner of the decathlon, Josh Cogdill, sophomore from Colorado State, was sitting in fifth place after Wednesday’s competition.

The two Kansas athletes, freshmen Arnold Dinh and Lucas Shaw, competing in their first career decathlons, were in tenth and 12th place respectively after the events on Wednesday. But they moved up in the standings to finish in ninth and tenth place by the time the decathlon finished.

“Yesterday we came out and the weather wasn’t too great,” Shaw said. “That kind of put a damper on things and made it harder to compete at the level we wanted to. But all in all, we were competing against ourselves and I think my results were fine for myself.”

Their only collegiate outdoor appearance was on March 28, when they competed at the Emporia State Spring Open. Dinh competed in the 100-meter dash, long jump and shot put, while Shaw competed in the 100-meter dash, 400-meter dash and shot put, saying that was some early preparation for their first decathlon.

The duo said they had been training for the decathlon since right after the indoor season ended, and had different emotions go through their heads as they finished their first decathlon.

“It was definitely a learning experience,” Dinh said. “I found out I definitely have a lot to work on. I can’t wait for the next one. I’m excited that this one’s over, and a little bummed that it is as well.”

Shaw set a personal best in the pole vault, leaping to a height of 4.70 meters.

“It’s always a great day when you set a new PR (personal record),” Shaw said. “That was the first PR I’ve had all season, indoor and outdoor together, so that was nice to finally get over that barrier and move up to the next level.”