092918 Women Cross Country 3

Sharon Lokedi keep on the first position during the 2nd mile of game.

Both the men's and women's cross country teams recorded top-20 team finishes Saturday morning in Madison, Wisconsin, at the Pre-National Invitational.

The men's team placed 20th, while the women's team placed 13th, it's highest finish since also placing 13th in 2016.

Once again, senior Sharon Lokedi was the standout, finishing in sixth place in the Women’s White 6K with a time of 20:11.87, marking the fourth time in her career that she has placed in the top 10 at the Pre-National Invitational.

Despite improving from her eighth place finish last season, Lokedi was unhappy with the results of the day.

"I didn't race how I hoped to, but I'm just going to keep my head high and get ready for the races to come," Lokedi said, according to a Kansas Athletics press release. "We've got big races coming up and I think for now that's what we are going to focus on."

Though she did not have the race she envisioned, Lokedi was proud of her younger teammates.

"I am so proud of the freshmen, they really did great given this was their first big meet. I am also so proud of the other girls, they executed the race really well,” Lokedi said. “We are all so fired up and super excited for the rest of the season."

Also on the women's side, freshman Ally Ryan was Kansas' second finisher, with a 78th place finish and running a time of 21:35.06 in her debut race as a Jayhawk. Freshman McKenzie Wilks was next for the Jayhawks, with a time of 21:46.04, finishing in 96th place overall.

The men's 20th place finish is also the highest they have placed since finishing 14th in 2013.

Junior Dylan Hodgson set the pace for the men as he finished 91st overall in the Men's Cardinal 8K, with a time of 24:58.90. Not far behind was senior Michael Melgares, coming in second for the Jayhawks with a time of 24:59.28.

Kansas men's and women's cross country will next travel to Ames, Iowa, for the Big 12 Cross Country Championship on Oct. 26. Race time is set for 10 a.m.