Warriors Kings Basketball

Frank Mason III, right, goes to the basket against Golden State Warriors guard Jacob Evans III, left, during the second half of an NBA summer league basketball game Tuesday, July 3, 2018, in Sacramento.

After being waived by the Sacramento Kings, former Kansas guard Frank Mason III signed a two-way contract with the Milwaukee Bucks.

During his time with the Kings, Mason’s opportunities were few and far between, having to play behind De’Aaron Fox. In his 90 games with Sacramento, Mason averaged 6.8 points per game in only 15.8 minutes off the bench.

His shooting numbers were not much to brag about, only averaging 39.2% from the field over the course of his career; however, with the little amount he got to play, it would be difficult to find consistent rhythm.

Mason has also struggled from three-point range, hitting only 30% of his triples in the NBA. In college, Mason was a threat from three, shooting 42%, thus the potential is there.

To be a legitimate threat with the Bucks, Mason will need to find his shot. Luckily for him, Milwaukee was the third-best shooting team in the NBA last season, so opportunities to find that shot will open up.

Mason’s biggest knock is obviously his height, standing at only 5-foot-11. However, the chip on his shoulder from the lack of size is what made him such a special player at Kansas.

Mason has a ferociousness to his game and a tenacity he carries that drives him forward as a player. The toughness he brings is Patrick Beverly-esque — he will not back down from any player.

In fact, back in February Mason got in a heated disagreement with James Harden.

With the Bucks, Mason will not be overshadowed by a bunch of young talent trying to make a name for themselves in the NBA like he was in Sacramento. Instead, veterans like Eric Bledsoe and George Hill will be able to help Mason find his way into the NBA.

He is 25 years old, but Mason has plenty of potential in the tank. He is quick and a terrific pick-and-roll ball-handler.

Mason can find opportunities with Milwaukee that were not present during his time with the Kings. The lack of point guard depth possessed by the Bucks also creates the opportunity for Mason to showcase himself.

On a championship caliber team such as Milwaukee, Mason will likely see himself develop greatly as a player and could potentially find himself having a consistent spot off the bench down the road.

Milwaukee may have seemed like a strange choice at first, but the reality is the Bucks may have been the best situation for Mason. If he can develop his shot and return to his college shooting percentages, Mason will fit in perfectly with the Bucks.