MBB vs. Auburn-15.jpg

Freshman guard Devon Dotson shoots the ball against Auburn. The Jayhawks fell to the Tigers 89-75 Saturday, March 23.

Even though Kansas men's basketball ranked No. 248 in the nation in three-point attempts per game (20.6) during the 2018-19 season, the Jayhawks could actually see an uptick in that category next year.

The NCAA is moving its three-point line back from 20 feet, 9 inches to 22 feet, 1 3/4 inches for Division I basketball starting next season.

And that could be a positive, as the Jayhawks should benefit from the rule change because of sophomore point guard Devon Dotson’s ability to drive to the basket.

According to a NCAA press release, one of the Men’s Basketball Rules Committee’s three main reasons for moving the line back was “making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.”

Dotson, one of Kansas' primary ball-handlers throughout his freshman year, thrives in dribble/drive situations.

Given his quick first step and blazing speed, the sophomore guard will be able to help himself and his teammates get cleaner looks. As he’s given more room to drive, the floor will open up for other Jayhawks when he draws defenders.

Dribble penetration gives Dotson the option to throw lobs inside to senior center Udoka Azubuike and junior forward Silvio De Sousa, or kick the ball out to a capable shooter like sophomore guard Ochai Agbaji.

Although they shot 35% from behind the arc last season, the Jayhawks still have a trio of scholarship offers remaining, and they could add more shooting to compliment their aggressive point guard’s style.

According to Basketball Reference, he had a usage percentage of 20.8 during Big 12 play for the 2018-19 season. His usage was third on the team behind former Kansas forward Dedric Lawson and guard Lagerald Vick during that time.

While Dotson’s role increased during his freshman season, his flashes of quickness continued to be displayed, and they should continue to excel because of another element in the rule change.

According to the committee, “assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court,” was another reason for moving the three-point line.

Spacing is important for any offense, and it’s exemplified when Dotson is handling the ball. The extra room inside the line can help him expose defense’s deficiencies even more, and create a ripple effect that makes the Kansas offense more free-flowing.

While the Jayhawks fell off last year in terms of three-point efficiency, this new change could actually benefit next season's team.