Softball vs. OU

Senior outfielder Emily Bermel hits against Oklahoma University. The Jayhawks lost to the Sooners 8-0 Sunday April 14.

Kansas softball returns to Lawrence this weekend for its final home series of the season, and the final home series for its three seniors. 

The Jayhawks will face Texas who is currently in third place in the Big 12 conference, holding a 7-6 record against Big 12 opposition.

The series will be the first time head coach Jennifer McFalls faces Texas after being an assistant for the past eight years.

Kansas will more than likely give senior ace Brynn Minor two starting nods over the weekend, one to open the series on Friday and the other for her final game at Arrocha Ballpark on Sunday.

Minor has been the Jayhawks' most consistent pitcher on the season and has carried most of the load. Her record stands at 6-15 in 29 appearances with a team leading 4.09 ERA and 65 strikeouts.

Softball vs. OU

Senior pitcher Brynn Minor pitches against Oklahoma University. The Jayhawks lost to the Sooners 8-0 Sunday, April 14.

Minor has been incredible for the Jayhawks in her two years since coming from Butler Community College and Kansas will need her best stuff to pull an upset this weekend. 

Senior outfielder Jennifer Marwitz has had a very consistent season at the plate with a team second-best .284 average, eight doubles and 11 RBIs.

Marwitz’s senior campaign was highlighted by winning Big 12 player of the week after her performance against Baylor in late March where she went 7-for-10 with a home run and five RBIs.

Softball vs. OU

Senior outfielder Jennifer Marwitz swings against Oklahoma. The Jayhawks lost to the Sooners 8-0 Sunday, April 14.

Senior outfielder Emily Bermel, after playing in Lawrence her entire life, will play her final games in her native city.

The outfielder has compiled a .247 average while scoring 11 runs and driving in five more. 

It will be a very emotional weekend for the entire team with many different factors playing in but the most important is keeping pace for the sixth and final spot in the upcoming Big 12 tournament.

Kansas currently holds the final spot with a 3-9 conference record; however, Baylor is not far behind and Iowa State owns just a one game advantage over the Jayhawks at 4-8. 

It has been an up and down season for Kansas but coming off a thrilling upset over Texas Tech last weekend, playing against McFalls's former team and the emotions of the final home series, the cards may be just right for this team to collect some monumental victories.