KUvsISU-13.jpg

Former Kansas basketball player Jamari Traylor points to his mom during his speech on senior night in 2016. Traylor had 8 points in a win over Iowa State.

Just days before leaving office, President Barack Obama released commutations and pardons for over 200 people.

Jessie Traylor, the father of former Kansas basketball player and University alumnus Jamari Traylor, was one of the 209 people granted a sentence commutation. 

Jessie's life sentence was commuted to 240 months or 20 years. The commutation is conditioned upon his needing to enroll in a residential drug treatment program. 

Jessie was serving a life sentence for conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute five or more kilograms of cocaine; possession with intent to distribute cocaine; use of a telephone in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime. He was found guilty on all four counts in Sept. 2009 and was sentenced to life in prison in June 2010. 

The life sentence came in accordance with the three-strike rule for drug offenders.

According to documents obtained by ESPN, Jessie was the middle man in a drug ring and transported cocaine and money on a bus between Chicago and Decatur, Illinois.

He applied for clemency through the Clemency Project upon Jamari's graduation from the University in May 2016.

Jessie was denied an appeal in 2011. He is currently incarcerated at the Yazoo City Penitentiary in Yazoo County, Mississippi.