Men's basketball vs. Michigan State

Freshman guard Josh Jackson celebrates heading into a timeout in the second half against Michigan State on March 19. The Jayhawks won, 90-70.

The reigning Big 12 Freshman of the Year and Wooden All-American is on his way to greener pastures. 

In an unsurprising announcement, freshman guard Josh Jackson officially declared for the NBA Draft and hired an agent, according to the Associated Press.

In the statement, Jackson said after "consulting with my family, I have decided to enter the 2017 NBA Draft and pursue my dream of playing professional basketball."

According to the Associated Press, his agent is former NBA player B.J. Armstrong of Wasserman Media Group.

"This obviously does not come as a surprise," coach Bill Self said in a Kansas Athletics news release. "When we recruited Josh we were so fortunate but also knew this would probably be a one-year stay. He has not only surpassed our expectations as a player but also as a leader and a teammate. We are all very happy for Josh and his family and are very proud of having coached one of the most talented kids that has ever come through here. We've had a lot really good ones here but Josh is as prepared for the next level as anyone that we have ever had."

Jackson finished his freshman campaign averaging 16.3 points, 7.4 rebounds and three assists. Because of his efforts, he won eight Big 12 weekly awards — a Kansas program record — and won the Big 12 Freshman of the Year award en route to his first team All-Big 12 status.

Also in his statement, Jackson said he was thankful for "all of the support I have received from my coaches and teammates at Kansas."

Jackson was tabbed to several All-American lists as well, including the Associated Press, National Association of Basketball Coaches and Wooden. He was also a semifinalist for the Naismith Award and a finalist for the Wooden Award.

Jackson spent one game of the season relegated to the bench, after coach Bill Self suspended him for the first game of the Big 12 tournament.

Jackson marks the ninth one-and-done player of Self's coaching career at Kansas. Cheick Diallo, Cliff Alexander, Kelly Oubre Jr., Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins, Ben McLemore, Xavier Henry and Josh Selby round out Self's other freshman-to-NBA players. 

Jackson is the second Jayhawk to declare for the draft this season. Svi Mykhailiuk has also declared, but didn't hire an agent.