Football Late Night

Junior quarterback Thomas MacVittie throws the ball during the spring game on Saturday, April 13.

Coming off a 3-9 record in the 2018 season, Kansas football is looking to pick up some quality recruits and have a turnaround season in 2019 after the hiring of new coach Les Miles.

Shortly after he was hired, Miles secured three-star defensive back Jayden Russell. A Lenexa native, Russell helped lead his team to a 5A state championship, totaling 40 tackles on the season.

Although Russell has signed his letter of intent to Kansas, according to the Lawrence Journal-World, he has not been on campus this summer.

In 2018, one of the areas Kansas struggled the most in was with on the defensive side of the ball. The squad gave up an average of 30 points and over 415 yards per game in the 2018 season.

The biggest recruit for Kansas so far, four-star recruit Steven Parker, could help bolster the struggling defense for the Jayhawks. Parker is a 6-foot-4, 220-pound outside linebacker from Dallas, Texas.

Parker posted 186 tackles and 34 sacks in his last two years of high school. He shows good versatility, being able to play as a true linebacker, and even lining up as a defensive end and explode through the offensive line.

Coming to Kansas from Pittsburgh as a transfer, junior quarterback Thomas MacVittie also has something to give to the Jayhawks.

MacVittie has some dangerous weapons as a quarterback. He is able to thread the ball through defenders and consistently find his targets. With a 4.50 40-meter dash, he also has the speed to tuck and run, if necessary.

With experience at Iowa Central Community College, and Northern Illinois, wide receiver Andrew Parchment has also committed to Kansas.

Parchment picked up 23 catches for 227 yards at Iowa Central in 2018. He decided to come to Kansas after offers from UNLV, Ball State and Hawaii.

Also coming from Iowa Central is another wide receiver, Ezra Naylor II. Naylor II picked up 292 yards and a touchdown over 19 receptions. Naylor II has great hands in the air and explosive speed in the open field.

In the 2019 season, Kansas hopes to put the football program back on a winning track. With these recruits and many more, 2019 Kansas football looks to be on a potential upward trend.