Harry Hillier

Sophomore Harry Hillier finished with a career high in the second day of the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate.

Finishing strong at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate, the Kansas men’s golf team recorded a third place performance on Sunday, Feb. 24.

Shooting 10-under par (278) on the final day, the Jayhawks were able to move ahead of TCU by one. Sophomore Harry Hillier was a large part of Kansas’ success. With his career-high finish on day two of the tournament, he came back on day three to help the Jayhawks in a four-under par (68) third round.

Sophomore Ben Sigel recorded a personal tournament best as he finished one-under. On the third day of the tournament, every Jayhawk had an under-par performance.

“We need to keep working hard and improve each day,” Coach Jamie Bermel said according to a Kansas Athletics news release. “If we have that fight on the golf course every round from here on out, we will be just fine.”

Senior Charlie Hillier and junior Andy Spencer tied for 21st overall as they both shot four-over during the duration of the tournament. After the final round Hillier recorded a two-under par performance while Spencer concluded three-under.

At the conclusion of the tournament, only Texas Tech and Boise State were ahead of Kansas.

"We played well today. Low round of the day today, but we were too far back to catch the leader,” Bermel said. “I got after the guys last night and they responded really well.”

Moving forward, the Jayhawks will travel to Scottsdale, Arizona, for the Desert Mountain Intercollegiate March 9 and 10. The last time Kansas competed in the tournament, it resulted in a first-place finish.