Men's basketball vs. West Virginia-40.jpg

Coach Bill Self motions to the crowd after a Kansas victory over West Virginia.

Despite some bumps in the road along the 2019 recruiting trail, the Kansas men’s basketball program received some early good news on its 2022 class.

Tre White, a guard out of Washington High School in Milwaukee, called coach Bill Self on Sunday to orally commit to Kansas. The 6-foot-5 sophomore committed to the Jayhawks without making a campus visit, citing his connection with Self and assistant coach Jerrance Howard.

In early November 2018, the Jayhawks were the first team to offer White, which factored heavily into his final decision. White also held offers from TCU, Texas Tech, LSU and Texas A&M, among others.

White decided to commit to Kansas early so he can focus on improving his game before moving up to the collegiate level. Class of 2019 recruit Jalen Wilson also influenced White to make the decision to play at Kansas.

The news of White’s commitment was originally broken by 247Sports’ Evan Daniels, who mentions that White also currently plays for the Mac Irvin Fire on the AAU circuit.

There have also been talks of White moving up to the class of 2021 and enrolling a year early.

“It could be an option later down the road,” White told Rivals in an interview.

White is the first recruit to commit to Kansas beyond the class of 2019, which still holds one scholarship spot.