Kansas Relays (cropped)

Michael Stigler competes in the men's 400-meter hurdles at the Kansas Relays on April 21.

Several former Jayhawks and Olympians, as well as current Jayhawks, put on a show in the first half of Kansas Relays events on Friday.

Former Jayhawk and Rio Olympian Mason Finley competed unattached in the men’s discus throw, and handily won the event. His winning throw of 212-feet-2 is the sixth-farthest throw in the world this year and was more than 23 feet further than the second place finisher, Derek Seddon of William Penn.

Andrea Geubelle, another former Jayhawk and Rio Olympian, won the triple jump event with a jump of 45-foot-½, over three feet farther than the second place finisher. Her jump was just under eight inches less than her 21st place finish at the 2016 Summer Olympics. 

Michael Stigler, a former Jayhawk who had to pull out of the 2016 Olympic time trials due to injury, made a strong comeback in front of his home crowd. In the 400-meter hurdle prelims, Stigler won his heat — and the event — with ease in a time of 50.98, over two seconds faster than the second place finisher, Kansas senior Alex Wilson. Finals for the college open 400-meter hurdles will be run at 3:16 p.m. on Saturday.

Former @KUTrack hurdler Michael Stigler is the top qualifier in the 400m hurdle prelims. He'll go for his 4th #KURelays title tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/TwbcxE9U8s

— Kansas Relays (@KU_Relays) April 21, 2017

Other current Jayhawks had stellar performances in the first half of the day as well.

In the college open high jump, Kansas sophomore Caraline Slattery tied for fifth place. She made the opening height of 5-foot-3, before missing all three of her attempts at 5-foot-5.

In the early track events, a few Jayhawks advanced to the finals.

Sophomore Gabrielle Dabney finished the 100-meter hurdles in a time of 14.57. Even though she finished four in her heat out of lane seven, her time was good enough for eighth in the prelims, moving her on to the Saturday finals. Women’s college open finals for the 100-meter hurdles are at 1:24 p.m. on Saturday.

In the 110-meter hurdles prelim, junior Christian Hicks finished sixth in a time of 14.76. Other Jayhawks in the field were junior Nick Giusti and freshman Cody Johnson. They finished in 10th and 12th place, respectively. The finals for the college open men’s 110-meter hurdles are at 1:33 p.m. on Saturday.

—Edited by Paola Alor