Rowing-2.jpg

A Kansas boat paddles away from the dock toward the starting point at the Jayhawk Jamboree on Oct. 23.

Following six weeks of indoor training after winter training in Tampa, Florida, last month, the Jayhawks look ahead to their spring season with the Tulsa Scrimmage on March 9.

After a successful fall season with events in Lawrence and Tulsa, Oklahoma, newly promoted coach and former Kansas rower Carrie Cook-Callen enthusiastically awaits the spring season.

“The spring is our main racing season and it’s what we look forward to the whole year,” coach Carrie Cook-Callen said in a Kansas Athletics press release.

Showing that enthusiasm with a training trip to Florida to immediately start 2018, Cook-Callen and her coaching staff believe in the highest potential for their team.

“The end goal for our team is to have one of the fastest teams that we’ve ever had,” assistant coach Rachelle Pauly said in the release. "That’s what we do every year is just build a faster team than the last.”

Last spring, the Jayhawks experienced all types of emotions with both victory and defeat throughout the season. Although they got the short end of the Big 12 Double Dual last April, they managed to find their strengths in the coming meets, with successful finishes at the George Mason Invitational and against Kansas State in the Sunflower Showdown to conclude April.

Finishing their season fourth out of five Big 12 teams in the conference championships in May, the Jayhawks concluded the season with longtime coach Rob Catloth’s retirement in June, with five-year assistant Cook-Callen taking over as the second coach in program history.

With mixed finishes in the Tulsa Fall Invitational last November following the Jayhawk Jamboree in October, the Jayhawks have yet to see another team in four months, awaiting the scrimmage in Tulsa in two weeks.

“These scrimmages will help everyone settle down a little bit and make sure we are calm for the upcoming races, but also get excited for the spring season,” freshman Katie Donnellan said in the release.

Followed by the Indiana scrimmage two weeks later, the Jayhawks will have four meets encompassing three different states before the conference and national championships take place in May.

As the season begins to progress, Cook-Callen’s new leadership does not entail a lack of expectations.

“Our biggest goal is to reach our full potential and to highlight that at the Big 12 Championship," Cook-Callen said.

Edited by Alexandra Martinez