2014115_soc_big12_ou (1 of 2)-2.jpg

Kansas played Oklahoma tonight at Swope Memorial soccer complex.

The dormant Border War will be temporarily resurrected Sunday.

The NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship slated Kansas and Missouri against each other in the first round.

“I’m thrilled for the girls that they get this opportunity,” said coach Mark Francis. “Getting selected to play in this tournament is the result of a lot of hard work and dedication this year. And as if the stakes weren’t already high enough, getting to play our rival Missouri will make this game much more special. It should be a great atmosphere out here on Sunday.”

This will be the second time Kansas and Missouri have played each other in any sport since Missouri’s departure for the SEC. The first time the two schools met post-conference realignment was during the NCAA Softball Tournament.

The last time Kansas and Missouri met on the pitch was back in 2011, when the Tigers won, 3-2. Missouri also owns the all-time series against Kansas by a narrow margin of 10-9-1.

This is the sixth time for both Kansas and Missouri where both teams made postseason appearances. Kansas’ last appearance in the Big Dance was back in 2011. Missouri last advanced in 2012.

Heading into the tournament, Kansas is ranked No. 18 in the NSCAA/Continental Tire top-25 poll. Missouri is ranked No. 37.

Kansas boasts a record of 15-5 and finished third in the Big 12. The record is the third-best record in program history and the best outing by the Jayhawks in the past 10 years. Kansas has beaten three NCAA tournament teams including Colorado, Oklahoma State and Texas.

Junior midfielder Liana Salazar, senior defender Carolina Van Slambrouck, junior forward Ashley Williams and senior goalkeeper Kaitlyn Stroud lead the charge for the Jayhawks. Salazar, Van Slambrouck and Williams were named to the All-Big 12 First Team, while Stroud led the Big 12 with a 0.61 goals-against average and a .867 save percentage.

Other Jayhawks recognized by the Big 12 are senior midfielder Jamie Fletcher (All-Big 12 second team) and freshman defender Kayla Morrison (Big 12 All-Newcomer team).

Stroud was red carded at the 90-minute mark in the final game of the regular season. Under the rules, she was ruled ineligible for the following game — the game in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament against Oklahoma. She should be eligible for the game against Missouri.

Missouri holds a record of 11-6-3 and finished fourth in the SEC standings with a 6-4-1 conference ledger. The Tigers have four wins against other tournament teams: Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia and Arkansas.

Four Tigers were named All-SEC, with one player named to the All-SEC first team. Senior midfielder Kaysie Clark, All-SEC first team, leads the Tigers with 16 points on three goals and 10 assists. Junior defender Candace Johnson and junior forward/midfielder Reagan Russell were named to the All-SEC second team. Freshman midfielder Kaitlyn Clark was named to the SEC All-Freshman team.

The faceoff begins at 1 p.m., Nov. 16, at Rock Chalk Park. Tickets are free for students with a valid student ID.

— Edited by Lyndsey Havens