For the first time in five years, Kansas opened up conference play with a win. Kansas didn't win just the first game either. They swept the series.

In the first game of the series, it took an extra inning and one RBI from freshman outfielder Katelyn Schumacher to make the difference. Kansas (27-10, 3-0 Big 12) defeated Oklahoma State (19-14, 0-3 Big 12) in a low scoring affair on Friday 1-0. Sophomore pitcher Kelsey Kessler tallied 13 strikeouts. During the series, Kessler threw 13 strikeouts in both of her starts and five strikeouts in the game she came in to relieve. Over the season, Kessler has thrown 202 strikeouts. She came into the series just two strikeouts behind the national leader.

In the second game of the series, Kansas and Oklahoma State were deadlocked at zero until sophomore infielder Chaley Brickey hit a home run out of left field in the bottom of the fifth inning. In the bottom of the sixth inning, Kansas scored three more runs, with a RBI going to senior infielder Ashley Newman and two RBI going to senior outfielder Alex Jones.

In the third game of the series, all the scoring came late in the game. Brickey hit a single in the fifth inning, bringing in freshman infielder Taylor McElhaney. Oklahoma scored on an error by Newman. That tied it all up and the game remained scoreless until the ninth inning when McElhaney came home on a wild pitch.

Next up for the Jayhawks is a midweek matchup against in-state opponent Wichita State April 2 with first pitch scheduled for 6 p.m. in Wichita.