swim practice

Kansas swimming and diving (9-2) cleaned house in its first double dual of the semester, defeating Truman State (169-83) and William Jewell (164-90) in Liberty, Mo., over the weekend.

The Kansas athletes broke seven Mabee Center pool records and won all but one event in the meet.

The pool setup was a little different from what the Jayhawks are used to. The Mabee Center pool is 27 yards long, while Jayhawks normally compete in 25-yard pools. 

Leading the charge for the Jayhawks was sophomore Lindsay Manning. Manning won three events on the day and broke the 800-meter freestyle pool record.

“I didn’t even know what the record was coming in to the meet,” Manning said. “[Coach Clark Campbell] told me to go for it and so I did. I’m a pool record holder, that’s kind of fun to say. I just want to keep working hard and be the fastest that I can be.”

In one of the first events of the day, sophomore Yulduz Kuchkarova, junior Bryce Hinde, sophomore Pia Pavlic and senior Deanna Marks won the 200-meter medley relay and blew the old pool record out of the water by nearly six seconds.

Later on in the day, Pavlic broke the pool record in the 100-meter backstroke, posting a time of 1:05.73, only to have it broken two heats later by sophomore Hannah Angell, besting Pavlic by 0.43 second.

The fourth record a Jayhawk athlete nabbed was by junior Chelsie Miller in the 200-meter butterfly. Miller swam in four events on the day, winning the 200-meter breaststroke and placing third in the 200-meter backstroke. 

Pavlic earned her second pool record of day in the 200-meter individual medley. She swam the event in 2:22.99.

Kuchkarova won the 200-meter backstroke and claimed her second pool record of the day. She beat the previous pool record by roughly 3.5 seconds.

Two records weren’t going to be enough for the Uzbekistan native. She ended up with three on the day. Junior Haley Molden, freshman Hannah Driscoll, Marks and Kuchkarova thrashed the old pool record by more than eight seconds in the 200-meter freestyle relay.

Kansas returns home on Jan. 31 and hosts Arkansas. The start time has been bumped up to 10 a.m. for the Kansas basketball game at 1 p.m.

— Edited by Yu Kyung Lee