Swim vs. Arkansas-11.jpg

Then-junior Haley Bishop swims the 100-yard butterfly against Arkansas on Friday, Jan. 26.

The Kansas swim and dive team kicked off the 2018-19 season with a blazing start on Friday night, jumping out to huge leads against both Missouri State and South Dakota on day one of the double dual.

Kansas was dominant from the beginning in the first leg of the two-day meet. The Jayhawks placed first in both heats of the opening event, the 200-yard medley relay.

“Starting off that relay and really hitting it and getting one and two was such a big part for us,” junior Jenny Nusbaum said. “From there it was just easy.”

The Jayhawks were in full control all night, finishing first in many events, including Nusbaum in the 200-yard freestyle.

The team ended the night the same way it started, with a sweep. In the 800-yard freestyle relay, the Jayhawks' A and B sides finished first and second, respectfully.

Kansas leads both duals after the first day, up 140-45 on South Dakota and 118-66 on Missouri State. 

The big leads, however, are not going to make Kansas feel as though the job is done and cause the team to let up on day two.

“Last year they came in and destroyed us in our own home,” senior Haley Bishop said. “They always come in guns blazing and this year we knew that and were really prepared.”

In the first meet of her final campaign as a Jayhawk, Bishop finished first in the 50-yard freestyle.

“The exciting thing about a new season is that it’s a clean slate,” Bishop said. “We have new goals set and new standards we’re looking to meet.

Bishop, along with fellow seniors Cassaundra Pino and Taylor Sieperda, will be honored before the start of Saturday's events.

“I have a lot family here because it’s my senior meet,” Bishop said. “It’s really exciting to see how much support we have, even though they aren’t always here we know they are in spirit.” 

Day two of the double dual begins Saturday at noon and will feature the final eight events of the Jayhawks' opening meet.