swim and dive file

“Some meets you’re the hammer, other meets you’re the nail,” coach Clark Campbell said after Kansas fell to Arkansas for the ninth straight year.

The competition was closer than it had been in previous years, but Kansas (9-3) was on the losing end of a plethora of close finishes and fell 105-194.

The Razorbacks won all but one event on Saturday — the 200-yard butterfly. Junior All-American Chelsie Miller claimed the Jayhawks’ lone title on the morning with a time of 2:01.61.

“I hadn’t swam the 200 fly for a few meets,” Miller said. “I was just trying to get back in rhythm and focus on swimming it, not necessarily racing it.”

Multiple Jayhawks nabbed individual second place finishes.

Junior Bryce Hinde finished in second in both the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke (1:04.70, 2:21.72) events.

Miller finished second in her two other events, the 500-yard freestyle and the 200-yard individual medley with times 4:56.88 and 2:04.36.

Sophomore Lindsay Manning was the runner-up in the 1,000-yard freestyle, clocking her third-fastest outing of the season with 10:18.45.

Sophomore Pia Pavlic finished second in the 100-yard butterfly (57.10).

In the diving well, sophomore Graylyn Jones grabbed silver in the 1-meter dive with the final score of 231.90.

Birthday girl sophomore Yulduz Kuchkarova finished second in the 100-yard backstroke in 56.33 seconds.

“I was OK with being second in the 100-back,” Kuchkarova said. “I had another race and I had to focus on that one, too. Being second is not catastrophic.”

Kuchkarova also had her mind on someone outside the pool.

Her mother flew in all the way from her native Tashkent, Uzbekistan. The two spent a week together in honor of Kuchkarova’s 21 birthday.

“It was a huge support having her here,” Kuchkarova said. “It feels different when someone who cares is watching you, someone that has been watching you for 21 years. This was actually the first time in three years that she’s seen me swim. I’m so happy about it.”

Kansas hosts Iowa State for the final dual meet of the season on Feb. 6-7. Friday’s session begins at 6 p.m. and Saturday’s session begins at 10 a.m.

— Edited by Yu Kyung Lee