The Kansas swimming and diving team opened up the regular season on the road against the University of Nebraska-Omaha in the “Freestyle Festival." The meet solely consisted of freestyle individual events, diving events and two relays.

“[UNO head coach Todd Samland] proposed the idea of a freestyle festival, so all of our individual events will be freestyle events,” Kansas coach Clark Campbell said. “We’ll have the 50, 100, 200 and 500 as individual events. Then we will do the diving events, followed by the 200 and 400 medley relay.”

Also different for this meet is that individual athletes can only score in one event.

“This will give a number of athletes the opportunity to swim freestyle events that they might not normally get to do,” Campbell said. “It’s a fun way to open the year and it’s something we’ve never done before.”

Kansas beat UNO 99-41 and won every event except for the 3-meter diving event.

Junior Chelsie Miller won the 500-yard freestyle in a time of 5:01.44.

Sophomore Yulduz Kuchkarova won the 50-yard freestyle event. She finished in a time of 24.77 seconds.

Freshman Hannah Driscoll won the 100-yard freestyle in a time of 53.30 seconds.

Junior Haley Molden won the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 1:52.10.

Sophomore Graylyn Jones won the one-meter dive event with a score of 237.44.

A Kansas team comprised of Kuchkarova, junior Bryce Hinde, sophomore Pia Pavlic and Driscoll won the 200-yard medley relay in a time of 1:45.87. The same team won the 400-medley relay in a time of 3:53.82.

Next up for the Jayhawks is a double dual with Denver and Missouri State on October 24-25.