KU Swimming and Diving

The Kansas swimming and diving team returns home after a dominating effort at Nebraska-Omaha last weekend. This weekend consists of a double dual with Denver and Missouri State.

Kansas is coming off a 99-41 win over Nebraska-Omaha at the "Freestyle Festival,” where the swimmers only swam freestyle events. Kansas won all but one event. Junior Chelsie Miller won the 500-yard freestyle by posting a time in the top five of her career (5:01.44). She outpaced the second place swimmer by nearly six seconds.

Other swimmers who performed well were Yulduz Kuchkarova, Bryce Hinde Pia Pavlic and Hannah Driscoll. Their 200-yard medley relay won the event.

Both Denver and Missouri State have men’s swimming and diving programs, while Kansas does not. Kansas cut the men’s swimming and diving program after the 2001 season due to a multi-million dollar shortfall that was projected in the athletic department’s budget for the following five years.

Coach Clark Campbell knows this all too well. His son, Canaan Campbell swims for Missouri State. The younger Campbell is a freshman for the Bears and swims freestyle, butterfly and backstroke.

Missouri State has three men and two women hailing from the Sunflower State: Brady Arvesen of Westwood, Campbell of Lawrence, Chris Carpenter of Topeka, Emily Chesser of Wichita and Shawna Elsey of Olathe. Denver doesn’t have any members on its team from Kansas.

The schools may not be Division I, but they are full of talent. Denver’s freshman Ray Bornman and sophomore Amanda Sanders were named swimmers of the week in the Summit League. Bornman has received the honor twice in her career. Missouri State’s senior Garrett Nevels was named Mid-American Conference Men’s Swimmer of the Week last week.

The Missouri State women are coming off of a narrow loss 120-121 against Drury, while the men are coming off of a 131-112 point win. Both Denver men and women won last weekend against Colorado School of Mines (Men), Colorado State (Women) and Nebraska-Omaha (Women).

Things get started for the two-day meet in Robinson Natatorium Friday at 5 p.m. Action resumes at the same place Saturday at noon.

— Edited by Alyssa Scott