Women's Swim vs TCU.jpg

Women’s swim team reaction after hearing the final 206.5-92.5 score against TCU on Oct. 27th at home.

From the first race, the Kansas swim team set an aggressive standard, placing first and second in the women’s 200-yard medley relay. From that point forward, the Jayhawks didn’t look back, winning every event and placing in the top three a total of 34 times, winning with a total score of 206.5-92.5.

Highlighting the meet was freshman Kate Steward, who swam in her very first collegiate meet against TCU. The freshman won both the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke events, as well as the 200-yard individual medley.

Steward was thankful to help lead the Jayhawks to victory and help to build some personal momentum early in the season.

“Being able to contribute to the score and the team, it feels really good, and builds a lot of confidence,” Steward said.

Steward, who was injured for the first meet of the season, made an immediate impact with her three wins. Her performance in the 200-yard IM saw her out-duel three of TCU's swimmers for first place, finishing with a time of 2:07.14.

The 1000-yard freestyle was another strong event for the Jayhawks as sophomore Crissie Blomquist finished in first place with a time of 10:12.07, almost 13 seconds faster than the next fastest swimmer. Bloomquist also took home gold in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:58.64.

Following Bloomquist and Seward's lead was junior Jenny Nusbaum, who won the 200-yard freestyle (1:49.41), the 100-yard freestyle (0:51.56) and anchoring the 400-yard freestyle relay (3:29.41).

The trio contributed to 63 points of the Jayhawks' final score.

In diving, the roles were reversed as TCU finished first, second and third in the 1-meter diving competition, and first and second in 3-meter diving.

Consistency was an issue for the Jayhawk divers as they struggled with performing their dive list to the best of their capabilities.

Diving may have been TCU’s biggest strength, but Kansas still saw freshman Alison Grass (225.90, 1-meter and 195.30, 3-meter) and junior Peri Charapich (186.38, 1-meter and 224.25, 3-meter) notch season-bests.

“We have them listed on both [1m and 3m boards] to be really competitive," coach Clark Campbell said. "But we have to be consistent, that is what we have to learn over the next few of weeks so when we get to [The Big 12 Championships] they can hit each and every dive."

While diving was a setback for Kansas, the swim team outpaced the Horned Frogs in every race, proving to be the better team by a significant margin.

Kansas will hit the water next in Lincoln, Nebraska for a dual meet against Nebraska on Nov. 3. The meet is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.