Kansas tennis jumps in the rankings, hosts UMKC Thursday

Tyler Roste/KANSANJunior Paulina Los stretches out to return the ball to the other side of the court. The Jayhawks were victorious against the Denver Pioneers winning 4-3.

For the past week, Lawrence has been repeatedly hampered by snow, and consequently, the Kansas tennis team cancelled one match and rescheduled another.

One thing the snow has not managed to stall is the movement of the Jayhawks up the rankings of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. Ranked No. 65 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's top 75, Kansas is set to host the University of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos 3 p.m. Thursday in its last match before conference play starts March 8 against Oklahoma.

Kansas comes into the matchup with a 4-2 record, its only two losses coming at the hands of ranked opponents. Kansas' Thursday opponent, UMKC, is not ranked.

The Jayhawks have been dominant in singles play over the past two matches, especially the play of freshman Anastasija Trubica and junior Paulina Los. On the season, the two are a combined 11-1 in singles play.

While the singles play has been impressive for Kansas as of late, doubles play has been the team's lynchpin. Kansas has only lost two of three in doubles play twice this spring. Paulina Los and Maria Belen Luduena, who are 5-1 together, have been instrumental in the team's success.

The Kangaroos are 3-6 on the spring season and are 1-3 over the last four outings. UMKC as a team has 10-15 record in doubles play which will need to be addressed if the it wants to do more than just visit Lawrence.

Kansas coach Amy Hall-Holt has noticed a spike in confidence since the team joined the ITA top-75 for the first time since the 2009 season.

The Jayhawks will need to sharpen their beaks in its final nonconference match, because eight of the teams in the Big 12 are also present in the latest version of the ITA top-75.