Kansas track and field started the 2014-15 indoor season with a bang. The Jayhawks secured 17 first-place finishes at the Bob Timmons Challenge.

“For the most part I was pleased with our athletes’ performances today,” coach Stanley Redwine said. “We have a lot of young athletes that were competing for the first time and I thought they handled whatever nerves or jitters they may have had pretty well. I was impressed with the level some of our more veteran athletes are already at so early in the year, which really has me excited to see what they will be able to do this season.”

Junior All-American Sydney Conley took the gold medal home in both the long jump and the 60-meter dash.

Senior All-American hurdler Michael Stigler ran in the first 800-meter race of his career, and won, beating the second-place runner by roughly two seconds.

Senior All-American Lindsay Vollmer looked to rebound from her injury at the NCAA Outdoor Championships last season. She won the 60-meter hurdles event and placed second in the high jump, behind her teammate sophomore Grace Pickell.

Kansas pole vaulters took home both men and women’s gold medals. Junior Casey Bowen took the pole vault title with a performance of 5.31 meters, putting him among the best in the NCAA in the season. Freshman Alexis Romero vaulted 3.80 meters to secure her victory.

Kansas throwers picked up multiple wins in the ring. Sophomore Mitch Cooper won the weight throw, tossing the 35-pound ball 16.04 meters. Junior Daina Levy won the women’s edition of the weight throw, throwing the 20-pound ball 18.89 meters.

Junior Anastasiya Muchkayev won the women’s shot put and blew everyone else out of the water. Muchkayev threw the shot 15.79 meters, over two meters more than the second-place finisher.

Other Jayhawks winning events in the season opener were Drew Matthews, senior Teddy Oteba, Stigler and senior Kenneth McCuin in the 4x400-meter relay, redshirt freshman Adel Yoonis in the 3,000-meter run, Oteba in the men’s 600-yard run, sophomore Adriana Newell in the women’s 600-yard run and senior Sarah Kelly in the 1600-meter run.

— Edited by Ben Carroll