Swim and Dive

Senior diver Vicky Xu flips during her dive routine. Kansas defeated Iowa State 98-32 in the first day of their dual on Feb. 8. 

Kansas senior diver, Vicky Xu, finished her career with an eighth place finish on the three-meter board and picked up her second All-American honor at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships in Austin, Texas.

Xu dove her way into the finals with a 343.65 score in the preliminary round on Friday morning.

In the three-meter finals, Xu scored a 358.60. UCLA’s Maria Polyakova won the event with her 396 mark.

“I couldn’t be happier with what she did in her performance,” Kansas diving coach Gabe Downey said, according to a Kansas Athletics press release. “She went after it, and that’s all you can ask from any athlete.” 

Xu joined Kansas in January and in just half a season she has become one of the most successful diver in program history.

“What is remarkable to me is how in such a short period of time someone can make such a huge and lasting impact,” Downey said, according to the release. “I am really optimistic and confident that her impact will continue for a long time to come.”

In her senior campaign, Xu defeated defending national champion Brooke Shultz in her third meet as a Jayhawk, set the Big 12 conference record in three-meter diving, became Kansas’ first Big 12 diving champion and a two-time All-American.

“I fit in perfectly with this team,” Xu said, according to the release. “Everyone is so supportive and gave me the strength and energy I needed to be what I am now. I appreciate all of my coaches and teammates. We had a lot of fun, I love them.”

Xu’s performance at the NCAA championships marks an end to her stellar Jayhawk career and wraps up a record year for the Kansas swim and dive program.