092315_vbcvskstate_missyminear-20.jpg

Sophomore setter Ainise Havili sets the ball to a teammate Wednesday night against Kansas State. The Jayhawks defeated the Wildcats in four sets.

Kansas volleyball can't go much higher. There isn't much more room at the top.

In the most recent AVCA poll, the Jayhawks moved up yet again, this time to No. 9. No. 9 is the highest ranking for Kansas in program history — just as No. 10 was last week.

"It's the type of start you can only dream about," coach Ray Bechard said after Kansas swept Iowa State to move to 17-0 on Saturday.

Kansas received 48 votes in total in the preseason poll. Today, the Jayhawks registered 1,119 out of 1,600 points.

Kansas has moved the most in the AVCA poll out of any team. The progression up the ladder has been impressive.

Kansas' progression up the AVCA rankings
 Week Ranking Record
Preseason (Aug. 12)  RV (48) 0-0
Week 1 (Aug. 31) RV (59) 3-0
Week 2 (Sept. 7) No. 22 6-0
Week 3 (Sept. 14) No. 17 9-0
Week 4 (Sept. 21) No. 15 12-0
Week 5 (Sept. 28) No. 12 14-0
Week 6 (Oct. 5) No. 10 15-0
Week 7 (Oct. 12) No. 9 17-0

Sophomore setter Ainise Havili has been one major contributor to Kansas' success. She was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week this week for the second time this season. In the Jayhawks' two games last week, Havili averaged 12.3 assists per set. Not only does Havili lead the conference in assists per set, she leads the country too.

Havili was named as Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week on Sept. 21. Havili is the setter who has earned the award this season.

Two other Jayhawks have previously been tabbed as Big 12 Offensive Players of the Week, too. Sophomore right side hitter Kelsie Payne won the award on Sept. 7 and sophomore outside hitter Madison Rigdon won the award on Oct. 5.

On the docket this week for the No. 9 Jayhawks is Baylor (13-5, 1-3). Kansas plays in Waco, Texas on Wednesday, with first serve coming at 7 p.m.