kansasvbncaa3.jpg

Kelsie Payne spikes the ball to help the Jayhawks defeat the Furman Paladins in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Sophomore outside hitter Kelsie Payne hammered out 16 kills, and sophomore setter Ainise Havili recorded 40 assists as the No. 9 Kansas Jayhawks swept the Missouri Tigers (25-16, 25-13, 27-25) to advance to the Sweet 16.

Set 1: Kansas wins (25-16)

Back to back blocks from junior middle blocker Tayler Soucie gave Kansas the momentum it needed to power through the early part of the first set. Before those crucial blocks, Kansas held on to a narrow lead of 5-4. 

Going into the first timeout of the set, the Jayhawks led the Tigers 15-11. One point and Missouri error later, the Tigers called another timeout. Out of that timeout, Havili threw down a kill of her own to put the Jayhawks up 17-11. 

Five points after that, sophomore outside hitter Madison Rigdon threw down a kill and Missouri called another timeout. But it was too late for the Tigers. Kansas was up 20-13 and was on a roll.

A service ace from junior libero Cassie Wait sealed the set victory for the Jayhawks.

Set stat leaders: Payne six kills, Havili 13 assists, Havili five digs, Wait five digs, Soucie three blocks (one solo, two assist).

Set 2: Kansas wins (25-13)

Missouri came out of the gate and stole the first point, but a kill from junior middle blocker Janae Hall evened it all up again. Back to back points from the Tigers gave them their biggest lead of the match at 3-1. 

The longest rally came when the Jayhawks and Tigers were tied at four. Havili proved to be stronger at the net and came up with the kill. 

The two teams battled back and forth until junior setter and serving specialist Maggie Anderson served up an ace for the Jayhawks, giving Kansas the 8-7 lead. Kansas then went on a 4-2 run, forcing a Missouri timeout.

After the timeout, Kansas went on a 5-1 run to force another Missouri timeout. 

A block-kill-block sequence from Soucie gave Kansas the extra boost it needed to close out the set. 

A kill from Dockery put the final nail in the coffin for set two and gave Kansas a 2-0 lead going into intermission. 

Set stat leaders: Payne five kills, Havili 13 assists, Wait eight digs, Soucie four blocks.

Set 3: Kansas wins (27-25)

Missouri came out of intermission with a fire underneath it and rolled to a 5-1 lead, its biggest of the match. That lead grew to a 7-2 mark and then 8-3. 

Kansas crawled back after a kill from Payne and a bad set from Missouri's Courtney Eckenrode. But a Dockery service error and an attack error from Havili put Missouri back up by four. 

Kansas got back within three after an attack error from Missouri's Alyssa Munlyn, but that didn't last long. Missouri cruised up to a five point lead off a kill by Carly Kan and an attack error from Hall. Those Missouri points forced Kansas to take a timeout. 

Back-to-back kills from Payne brought Kansas within two at 20-18. Missouri threw down three kills and counted on a Kansas attack error to get to set point, but Kansas charged back to tie it up at 24 apiece. 

Back-to-back kills from Payne, again, sealed the deal and the comeback for the Jayhawks and Kansas emerged victorious.