Vollyball Gonzaga 9/18

The non-conference season ended with a bang as No. 17 Kansas (12-0) swept Missouri State (9-4) in three sets (25-13, 25-14, 25-16).

"I felt like we kept pressure on them all night with our serving," coach Ray Bechard said. "That's a good team. They've got good wins."

Kansas as a team racked up six service aces during the match. Junior setter Maggie Anderson and sophomore outside hitter Madison Rigdon both led the team with two apiece. 

Senior outside hitter Tiana Dockery received a spectacular 22nd birthday present as she recorded 11 kills and was named tournament MVP.

"It's awesome," Dockery said. "I wouldn't have been able to do it without my teammates. Passes were good, sets were awesome, of course from Ainise [Havili] because she's just great."

In addition to Dockery's performance, sophomore right side hitter Kelsie Payne led the team in kills with 13. Payne's performance throughout the weekend tabbed her to the all-tournament team. Junior middle blocker Janae Hall also racked up 10 kills.

On the defensive, junior libero Cassie Wait came up with 16 digs and was tabbed to the all-tournament team. Senior defensive specialist Anna Church added 10 digs, her new personal best in a Kansas uniform. 

Next up for Kansas is in-state rival Kansas State to start out conference play. The Jayhawks host the Wildcats on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 6:30 p.m. in the Horejsi Center.