Tennis vs. Florida-20.jpg

Freshman Sonia Smagina returns the ball against Florida. The Jayhawks defeated the Gators 4-2 Saturday, May 4.

Two Kansas players dominated on the first day of action as the Jayhawks host the Oracle ITA Summer Circuit this weekend.

Recent Kansas signee Vasiliki Karvouni won every set she played in her first two singles matches of the tournament on Saturday.

The Athens, Greece, native won 6-0, 6-2, over Cadence Lynn of Olathe in the Round of 64 and made quick work of Colorado State's Priscilla Palermo with a 6-1, 6-2 victory in the Round of 32. Karvouni, the No. 11 seed in the tournament, will continue her singles run on Sunday against Iowa’s Samantha Mannix.

Later in the evening, Karvouni joined sophomore-to-be Sonia Smagina in their first doubles match after receiving a bye in the Round of 32.

The pair of Jayhawks handled Memphis’ Katherine Cao and Northern Colorado’s Madeline Doherty in a 8-2 victory. Following the win, Karvouni attributed her and Smagina's competitive nature as a factor in their success.

“We tried to be as aggressive as we could and fight for every point,” Karvouni said. 

Karvouni and Smagina will compete in the ITA doubles quarterfinals this weekend with the time to be determined. The overall event will run through Monday, July 15.