Andy Spencer

Then-sophomore golfer Andy Spencer wins the 2017 Watson Challenge at Milburn Country Club. Spencer took 6th at the Badger Invitational to open the 2019 season.

With a solid third round performance at the Irish Creek Intercollegiate, Kansas men’s golf finished the tournament in third place. A score of minus-9 (843) kept the team from above fourth-place finisher Florida State. Just nine strokes behind first place, Kansas’ third round score of 274 was the lowest round by anyone in the competition.

A dynamic trio of senior Charlie Hillier, junior Andy Spencer, and sophomore Ben Sigel were important in leading Kansas to a top-ten finish. Finishing under par for the third consecutive time this season, Hillier recorded eight birdies during Sunday’s last round of competition. Struggling previously in the previous days it was imperative he redeemed himself on the last day.

“Charlie Hillier didn't have his best this week, but his consistency really helped,” coach Jamie Bermel said, according to a Kansas Athletics news release.

Continuing to emerge as a key player for the Jayhawks, Sigel had four birdies Sunday afternoon. The three all scored under 70, moving Kansas up the leaderboard from their seventh place finish following the second round. Struggling in the first and second round, Bermel worried about where the team stood moving into competition on Sunday.

"I'm very disappointed in the team score, disappointed in the lack of toughness and resolve out there today by the majority of the team,” Bermel said following the team’s performance Saturday.

But with a solid third round performance, the team was able to ease Bermel’s doubts and found its fourth consecutive top-three finish.

Traveling to Iowa City for the Great River Entertainment Invitational April 20-21, the Jayhawks will need to find consistency.

“We have about two weeks to work on some things before we head to Iowa City for our final regular season event,” Bermel said. “I hope we can improve and be better."